Is it possible to automatically move an issue from 'Issue' column to 'Backlog' if the 'Assign' field is filled?

Dávid Ruzsinszky June 23, 2016

I have a board with the following columns:

-Issue

-Backlog

-In Progress...

I would like to set up a role, that if I have an issue in the 'Issue' column and I assign it to somebody, then the issue automatically move to the 'Backlog'.

Is it possible? 

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2016

Backlog is a built-in feature of Agile Boards.  There is no reason to have the backlog be part of your workflow.  Assuming you are using a Scrum board, when you don't have an issue in a Sprint, it's in the Backlog.  The "Assign" function has no native automation capability, so you would need to write something custom to do what you want ,as designed. A Listener is probably the right choice of customization.

It might be easier for people to help if you explain the use case or problem you need to solve rather than the design you have in place now.  There is probably a creative way to solve the problem that doesn't involve writing code, if we can make use of the standard JIRA paradigm.

Suggest an answer