Is it possible to authenticate users for custom applications against OnDemand?

Andrew Benz September 10, 2012

I've got a custom written application that we used to use Crowd to authenticate our users. We moved to Atlassian OnDemand and I'd like to replicate that behavior and was wondering if it were possible. All I need to do is submit a username and password and get a response telling me whether it's valid or not. I don't need group enrollment or any other data about the user.

I see that there is a crowd REST api that's visible, but I usually get a 401. I have set up an application under "Issues | User Settings | JIRA User Server" and when I use that login, I get a JSON response of {"result":false,"message":"The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden."}. Is this an IP restriction problem?

Any help would be great! Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2012

Hi Andrew,

We don't allow OnDemand instances to interface with external applications and this is why you will be receiving the 403 Error when trying to connect to the AOD instance. Please see our list of restircted functions in AOD to get an idea of the possibilities and limitiations of the OnDemand platform: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Restricted+Functions+in+Atlassian+OnDemand

All the best,
John

Andrew Benz September 10, 2012

That's disappointing since pretty much everything else is accessible through a REST (or SOAP) interface. Are there any plans to enable this functionality?

Suggest an answer