Is it possible to assign automatic transition on automatically created issue?

Tak S. July 19, 2021

Dear experts,

I'm using Jira software cloud version, and I would like to automatically create issues of monthly task.

I have successfully created an automation rule to create issues on a certain indicated date.

But to make it work, I would like to make a automated transition to the created issue.

I tried to make a rule to make transition on created issue inside the automation rule in which the monthly issue is created, but have not succeeded yet.

Please give me an advice to solve my problem.

The steps I tried:

1. Create an rule to create new issue on automation setting.

2. Press "Add component"->"New action"->"Transition issue"

3. Choose an status from "Destination status" pull-down menu.

4. Press "Save" and "Publish changes"

-> Error "The rule has been configured with components that require issues to be provided by the trigger." is displayed and I cannot apply the rule.

Best regards,

Takuro

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jonas Ekström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2021

Hi,

Have you checked this box under "Rule Details" on your automatic transition?Screenshot 2021-07-20 085820.png

Tak S. July 20, 2021

Hi, Jonas

Thank you for you response.

I didn't check the checkbox as you commented.

But I still don't know how to configure whole rule.

What I tried to do was to involve both issue creation and its transition in one automation rule.

Do you mean that it is not possible or complicated, and I had better separate issue creation and its transition into two automation rules?

If so, could you let me know how to specify the created issue in the issue transition rule?

Or it also would be very helpful if you kindly let me know the way to involve both issue creation and its transition in one automation rule...

Thank you in advance.

Takuro

Jonas Ekström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2021

Sorry, apparently not fully awake and missed the part where you mentioned doing it in the same rule. In my mind it just appeared as two different rules..

Not sure if it's possible to it in the same rule, doing it in two separate rules is easy though

Screenshot 2021-07-20 100205.png

In addition to this, the rule needs to be able to trigger of other rules. Also you certainly would like to add a condition, "if" for a specific query to just identify these automatic creations

Tak S. July 20, 2021

Thank you for your comment, Jonas.

I don't have strong intention to stick to single automation rule, so if separating is easier, I shall do so.

My only concern is that it might be difficult to clearly specify the created issue in issue transition rule.

Anyway, I shall investigate the way to clearly specify the created issue first.

If I have any question or concern, let me ask you again.

Thank you.

Takuro

Like Jonas Ekström likes this
Tak S. July 20, 2021

Dear Jonas, or other experts

Now I trying to configure 2 rules but I can't find how to specify the intended issue creation in the issue transition automation rule.

Could you let me know how I can describe the condition as you mentioned?

(The trigger "Issue created" doesn't seem to have any condition configuration.
 And in the action "Transition issue" I can't find any setting to specify the intended issue...)

Thank you in advance,

Takuro

Jonas Ekström
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2021

You need to add a condition component in between, for example JQL condition.
When you create your issue in the first rule, you need to create it with a unique method of identification. Either if you decide to set a label, or a specific summary that won't be used by other issues.

Screenshot 2021-07-20 111429.png

Tak S. July 20, 2021

Thank you for your advice.

At last I successfully created automatic transition rule!

Maybe it would be better to create state transition rule as child component of the condition component, not as a next component of it?

Anyway, thank you very much for your quick and helpful advices!

Takuro.

Suggest an answer