Is it possible to archive an issue type in JIRA ?

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2012

Dear all

We have some obsolete issue types. Most of the project has many such issues.

Would like to archive these. But, should be able to retrieve when required.

Have any idea ?

Fyi, I use Jira 5.1.3.

Cheers, Vishnu.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2012

I think a good option will be to move all such issues to a new project and remove all permissions to the project. You can then take a backup, keep it for restoring later and maybe delete the project.

My suggestion is to keep it offline without permissions but if the performance is a worry, then delete it.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2012

Ah ok. Then security level seems a better idea.

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2012

Hi Jobin,

We have created projects for each clients. So, I can't move all these issues to a single project.

Regards, Vishnu.

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2012

Finally I used your solution. Thanks a lot Jobin.

0 votes
Michael Stelzner [Communardo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2012

There is currently no way of achieving this without jira default configuration.

Vote for https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-16683 or https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-10507

But I do't think that this will satisfy you :-)

One messy solution:

You can hide the options of the select-list with custom css.

0 votes
Evgeny Zislis October 29, 2012

You can disable creating new such issues by changing the workflow for the issue type to include a verification in the "Create Issue" transition that no users have, for example only allow yourself to create such issue types.

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2012

I already have done this.

0 votes

You can remove this issue type from the "Issue Type Scheme", and they will no longer be visible in the project. If you also archived/backed-up the whole project before you can still import them later into a new project when required.

Maxim Abramovich October 29, 2012

removing issue type from scheme will migrate all old issues to other issue type

that is why you delete them all after creating the backup, then it is safe to remove without having them migrated.

0 votes

You may add "always failed" validator on create workflow action. E.g. create fake Role and add validator: "User in project role". It's deny to create new issues of obsolete issue types.

Common archive, as i know, not implemented

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2012

Hi Maxim,

I already have blocked these issue creation.

My requirement is to hide all such issues and retrieve when required.

Hope I am clear now.

Thanks, Vishnu,

You can try introduce security level for e.g. fake role or group and use bulk change to apply new level to all obsolete issues(you must assign this role to you account, after finish - remove your user from this role). If you need to see this issues, you just assign this role/group. Not beauty, but must work =)

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 29, 2012

I think this would work. Let me check and get back to you.

Thanks a lot.

Suggest an answer