Is it possible to archive a Jira issue (not delete it)?

I have one project & board, with multiple tickets in the backlog. We are not going to work on these tickets until late 2017. I don't want to delete them, since we'll need them in the future, but I also don't want to clutter my backlog with work that we don't need to discuss (or accidentally pull into a Sprint!). 

The only possible action that I can think of to "hide" these in the backlog view, without deleting them, is to do a bulk move to a new project that I could call "Archived Project." Is there an easier solution to hide/archive within the current project that I could restore in the future?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes

Another project is one way to do it.

The other two options that spring to mind without coding are:

1. Set a security level on the issues so that only you or admins or people in a certain group can see them.  Remove the security level when you're ready for them to re-appear
  2. Put a label or custom field on them to indicate "for later", then adjust your board filters to ignore that flag.  Remove the flag to get them back

You could combine those ideas too, although it's a bit of a faff - have a security level that uses the custom field flag to hide things (then you don't need to alter filters)

Another way to achieve this is configure issue security level to Archived. And set issue security level for issues to Archive issues.

Then you set users with issue security level "Archived" only to access these issues. Once your time has come to re-leave it to public, then you can remove security level of these issues and it will e open for everyone. When you start working on issue securities you'll e most happiest person.

You'll enjoy smile

Rangs

In other words, what the answer already said.

1 vote
Joe Pitt Community Champion Sep 27, 2016

You could create a status of 'On Hold' and move them to that status. When you configure the board don't show that status in any of the columns.

To create a new status, would I need to add it to the workflow? I suppose I could add it on the workflow, but not necessarily have anything move to or from it. I worry, though, that my users would "accidentally" move needed tickets to that status. I'll play around with it. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

Meet the AUG leaders of Northern Virginia

@Rachel Wright (Jira Genie), @Billy Poggi (AUG NOVA, DC), and @Dana Jansen (Confluence Queen) are just some of the folks that lead one of the world's most active Atlassian User Group (AUG)....

157 views 5 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you