Is it possible to Import Issues from CSV that have the Issue Template field?

Lisa December 13, 2022

I am trying to bulk upload issues and I want an Issue Template applied to the issues.  I keep getting an error.  It does pass validation, but it errors on upload.  The error is like the error shown in this JRASERVER-64670 
Nevertheless, Is this something that can even be done?  Is there anyway to create many Jira Tasks using an Issue Template without having to create each task manually one at a time?
Here is the csv upload showing the Issue Templates field.  If I remove this field, the upload works.
Jira upload csv.png

1 answer

0 votes
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2022

Hello @Lisa 

Are you sure that field is not a custom field related to a third party product, like Issue Templates for Jira?

If so, it's highly unlikely the native CSV import would be able to set a value for that custom field and thus cause the issue to be based on that template.

Lisa December 14, 2022

Yes.  It is a custom field.  It is strange though.  Some of the other fields are custom fields as well and there is no issue uploading the csv with those fields.  Thanks.

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2022

That's because all the other custom fields are 'inert'; they are just containers for holding data. That custom field Issue Templates belongs to the Issue Templates for Jira app and is 'active'; changing it triggers actions on the backend by the app, or it has some other attribute that doesn't allow it to be changed in the manner you're trying.

Issue Templates for Jira SERVER does have a REST API that is integrated with Jira's, and it supports what you are trying to do, so you can use that method to upload all the issues into Jira and set that custom field's value which in turn would trigger the app to make each issue be based on a template. If your company has developers, you could employ them to create a tool / script to parse your CSV file and upload the data to Jira's REST API and solve the problem that way.

Lastly, the Create issue from a template section of the REST API docs says that custom field is set to a numerical value, which represents the ID of the template. As an experiment, try uploading the CSV file again and give the Issue Templates field a numerical value, not the text name of the template, and see what happens.

Lisa December 15, 2022

Thank you so very much @David Bakkers !!

Suggest an answer