Is it possible for non-licensed users to create a ticket in Jira from an email?

Romy Roger May 31, 2021

Hello,
I saw here that it's possible to create a ticket in Jira directly from an email for licensed users.
But is it possible for non-licensed users? 
Thank you for your answers !

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2021

Hi @Romy Roger  Welcome to Atlassian Community!

It's feasible to create an issue via email for non-jira users. For this you need to set Default Reporter in Mail Handler.

Thanks

V.Y 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2021

And the default user must be licensed. The idea here is that issues created by non-licensed users will be created under the licensed user account.

Like # people like this
Thijs December 7, 2023

Additionally (what I struggled with) was that the user also needs access to the project where it will create the issues.

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2023

@Thijs yes user must have create issue permission to create issue in a project. If you set default reporter then that reporter should have create issue permission in that project. 

Like Thijs likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2021

Hi @Romy Roger ,

You don't specifically mention whether you use Jira Service Management (JSM) or Jira Software.

For Jira Software it's not that easy, but you can use the work around mentioned by @Vikrant Yadav to set a default reporter.

For JSM its perfectly possible but you need to use the Jira Service Management email handler and not the regular email one.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskserver033/receiving-requests-by-email-861255251.html

Romy Roger May 31, 2021

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans ,

I use Jira Software, I will try with the work around mentioned by @Vikrant Yadav  :) 

Thank you for your help!!

Like Vikrant Yadav likes this
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2021

@Romy Roger Cool! Glad to hear it helps you :)

Thanks

V.Y

Suggest an answer