Is it possible for JIRA Cloud links to appear collapsed by default in Slack?

Neil Talbott July 27, 2017

My development team uses Slack with the JIRA Cloud app. We regularly want to provide links to JIRA issues by typing the key in a Slack message, e.g. ABC-123.

JIRA Cloud allows us to do this, but a large summary of any cited issue will appear in the Slack channel. If a user mentions three or four issues (e.g. during a summary of his tasks for the day), this takes up a lot of space and the summary itself often gets bumped off the top of the screen. This is verbose and confusing and makes it harder 'at a glance' to keep track of which developers are doing what.

Is it possible to retain the capability of linking to JIRA but (by default) hide the summaries? The best solution would be for the summaries to appear 'collapsed' by default (perhaps displaying the JIRA key and first few words of the summary as a single line in the Slack channel), so that a reader could click an 'Expand' arrow to view the whole summary plus other properties such as Status or Assignee. The second-best solution would be for the JIRA keys to appear as hyperlinks to JIRA (in a web browser).

I'm not an admin on the team so I can't test for myself what's possible, but I'd like to present a recommendation / solution rather than a problem. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful.

Many thanks,

Neil Talbott

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
rich
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2017

Thanks for the feedback, @Neil Talbott. I'll create a enhancement request to support a compact display for issue previews. We currently support a compact display already for notifications, but not for previews.

Compact.png

Neil Talbott July 28, 2017

Many thanks Rich!

rich
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2017

Hi Neil. We've got this working in channels now. Is this sufficient?

Screenshot 2017-07-31 07.25.32.png

Neil Talbott July 31, 2017

Hi Rich - this looks great! Looking forward to seeing it rolled out - this will make our daily summary channel so much easier to read without losing contextual info.

Many thanks again!

Neil

rich
Atlassian Team
July 31, 2017

This is already rolled out. You'll need to update your subscriptions to use the "Compact" view instead.

Neil Talbott August 17, 2017

Hi Rich,

We've been using this new feature for the last couple of weeks and have found it to be a huge improvement. Thanks so much for implementing this and doubly so for such a great response time!

Many thanks once again and best wishes,

Neil

0 votes
Mike Daly March 19, 2018

@rich, is there something that needs to be enabled for this functionality?

Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
March 19, 2018

Hi @Mike Daly,

You can enable the condensed notifications by opening the configuration page from your Slack channel.

In your channel, type one of:

/jira manage
/jira info
/jira

and then from the configuration page for that channel, choose the "Compact" message style.

Slack_Channel_Config_-_Jira.png

Cheers,

Dave

Mike Daly March 19, 2018

Yep, that worked. Thanks, @Dave Meyer!

Tami Checkoway April 27, 2020

It looks like the UI on this has changed, and there's no longer the checkbox option to "Have @Jirabot automatically show previews of jira issues when issue keys or URLs are mentioned in your channel". 

The integration is working when typing out the issue key (en-1234), but it does NOT work when pasting the URL of the ticket. 

Anyone know how to get this to work? It's basically pointless as it is now, since nobody actually types out the issue keys...they paste the URL. 

Stephen Fischer September 28, 2021

I can generally see the compact views of jira issues in slack, EXCEPT for the following case:
In a jira issue, when I select from the "..." menu to "Connect Slack channel", the jira issue correctly gets linked to slack. However, any update to that jira issue results in the full jira issue description being sent to the slack channel. I dont see any way to configure this for "compact" message style. It creates so much noise to the point of being unusable.

@Dave Meyer / anybody - any ideas here?

Note when I type "/jira manage" in slack, then click on "Modify", I get a dialog box for "Notification settings", where I can check/uncheck 6 options to receive notifications for transitions, assignee, misc updates, comments, issue links and worklogs. I do not see the above mentioned dialog box to select clean vs compact message style.

I wonder if this might be an old version of slack with jira cloud integration, but I cant find a way to check version??

Thanks!

0 votes
Mike Daly January 18, 2018

Does this still work? We have JIRA Cloud installed, and I'm using Slack's Compact view, but I still see the full JIRA description in my Slack channels. Others in my org confirm that they see the same.

Neil Talbott January 19, 2018

Hi Mike - while I can't help unfortunately, I can confirm that there has been no regression and that this behaviour still works for my team as previously.

Joao Squillace Teixeira July 9, 2019

Same here, using compact but keep loading full 

Neil Talbott July 9, 2019

Joao, have you read the reply below from Dave Meyer? This feature continues to work very well for all my teams.

Suggest an answer