Is is possible to stop stories from moving to one status to another until conditions are met?

Hussain Ali May 12, 2023

We are trying to find an "automated" way to stop a story from moving from one kanban status to another, until specific subtasks are completed. The real answer to this question would be to redesign the entire workflow and open and close stories at appropriate times but that will not happen in this situation. The situation is such that requires an automated gate to stop a story from moving from one status to another. Is that possible with Jira Automation rules? I have tried, and I haven't been able to figure it out with Jira automation. Please note, no third party gadgets allowed. 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ravina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2023

Hi @Hussain Ali Welcome to the Atlassian community.

For using Condition and Validations for certain actions on issues workflow is the best to achieve that as Automation for Jira rules are generally considered as a post-function activity where if one condition is true then perform the next action it only check if condition satisfied or not but does not control it like we can do it in through workflow conditions and post-function also, as per your requirement it will need third-patry plugin like Bob-swift which provide this conditions, but as you mention no third party plugin is allowed, then it can achieve through script if you are using scriptrunner plugin if not using this once as well then not sure how to acheive with automation rule alone

Thanks

Ravina 

Hussain Ali May 12, 2023

Thank you so much Ravina. I felt the same way. I thought there must be some gaps in my knowledge with current enterprise environment that I operate in. It is good to have some confirmation and not go absolutely mad about this. Thanks again!

Like Ravina likes this

Suggest an answer