Is anyone getting a Cannot set property 'table' of undefined bug when searching issues?

Jeff Chen December 13, 2018

when searching issues in our jira cloud

https://pixlee.atlassian.net/issues/?jql=order%20by%20created%20DESC

I get :

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property 'table' of undefined

at Object.JIRA.Issues.GlobalIssueNavCreator.readInitialData (batch.js?adg3Enabled=true&agile_global_admin_condition=true&devsummary=true&globalSidebarEnabled=true&jag=true&jaguser=true&locale=en-US:3553)

that prevents the rest of the panel from loading.  Anyone else get this?

2 answers

0 votes
warrenfelsh April 26, 2020

In JavaScript almost everything is an object, null and undefined are exception. When you try to access an undefined variable it always returns undefined and we cannot get or set any property of undefined. In that case, an application will throw Uncaught TypeError cannot set property of undefined.

In most cases, you are missing the initialization . So, you need to initialize the variable first. Moreover, if you are not sure a variable that will always have some value, the best practice is to check the value of variables for null or undefined before using them. If you just want to check whether there's any value, you can do:

if( value ) {
//do something
}

Or, if you do not know whether a variable exists (that means, if it was declared) you should check with the typeof operator .

if ( typeof(some_variable) !== "undefined" && some_variable !== null ) {
//deal with value
}

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 18, 2018

Hello Jeff,

Your error looks to be very similar to an error reported on a bug request. You can find the bug request at JRACLOUD-68680. The request has a rather long description so I won’t repost it here, but it does seem to be related to some characters in the summary which are causing this issue. We would suggest you vote and watch the request so you may receive future updates on its status.

There is a reported work around to this bug;

Workaround
Edit all affected issues, by removing the characters.

I hope this helps clarify what your issue is along with the bug request to resolve the issue.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer