Is JIRA Software HIPAA compliant?

zubair.magdum May 22, 2019

Is JIRA Software HIPAA compliant? I am reading online that the server desktop product is but not the cloud based. Is this true?

4 answers

1 vote
Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2019

@zubair.magdum - thats correct, currently cloud software is not hipaa compliant but Atlassian is on the way to compliance. It is recommended to have a locked down server and use server software if you need to maintain hipaa compliance. I'm excited for cloud to be compliant, its in the works!

See here - https://www.atlassian.com/trust/roadmap?tab=compliance

Danyale Clay February 28, 2020

Do you happen to know rough time frame for the Jira Cloud HIPAA compliance road map task?  We are trying to determine if we need to move to the server based Jira application. 

Alan Pryor March 20, 2020

What is the status of becoming HIPPA Compliant?

Dena Campasano May 11, 2020

Also looking for an update as we would like to expand our use of Jira and this prevents us from doing so.

Alan Pryor September 25, 2020

Its been several months since Atlassian has commented on this.  Is this still in the works?

Blake Burdeen October 17, 2020

Since Atlassian is discontinuing Server products - it would be helpful to know if they will begin to offer compliance and BAA for Cloud.

Like # people like this
Dante Peralta Lopez December 13, 2020

My company wants to go cloud but bc of HIPAA we're unable and still working in sever version. Pls fix this ASAP

Like Steven Smith likes this
Greg Jones April 1, 2021

I understand they are not HIPAA compliant today, but is their database encrypted at rest?

Brooklyn Trumpy April 1, 2021

Be careful...the HIPAA compliance on their roadmap only applies to software & confluence, not to service desk. 

0 votes
Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2022

I am posting this update on a few threads to ensure customers that have expressed interest get to see it:

Yesterday we announced that Atlassian is ready to sign BAA agreements for compliance with the HIPAA law provisions for the Enterprise Plan version of JSW and Confluence. More information here: https://www.atlassian.com/trust/compliance/resources/hipaa 

We will soon update our public roadmap to include a timeline for JSM HIPAA as well, ETA is at the end of calendar year 2022. 

Please let me know of any questions 

0 votes
Jason Green December 4, 2021

Hi @Filiberto Selvas I'm considering recommending JSM Cloud for a new to Atlassian healthcare account in Q1 2022. How confident are you the BAA is set for Feb.?

Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2021

Hi Jason, we will NOT be ready to sign BAAs for JSM in February 

For February we are aiming to sign BAAs for JSW and Confluence only 

I do hope early next year we can publish a timeline for JSM though 

Like Brooklyn Trumpy likes this
Jason Green December 4, 2021

Excellent!  That works, I'll make the necessary updates. Also looking forward to JSM Portal SSO next year, some big upgrades on the way!

Brooklyn Trumpy December 6, 2021

We would love to have a timeline for JSM early next year!!! Thank you

Brooklyn

0 votes
Brooklyn Trumpy February 28, 2021

Be careful, all. Jira is moving toward HIPAA compliance for software and confluence only at this point. Service desk is not on the current road map.

Justin Berneburg May 26, 2021

Where you do see HIPPA compliant on their roadmap?

Brooklyn Trumpy May 26, 2021

Q1 2022

Like Justin Berneburg likes this

Suggest an answer