Is 2 GB Ram enough for JIRA,Confluence,BitBucket & Bamboo?

Wendy Hutama April 24, 2017

Is 2 GB Ram enough for JIRA,Confluence,BitBucket & Bamboo?

I tried to install those 4 apps in my virtual machine with 2GB of data.

However I can't manage to get all the 4 apps running together.

Only 3 apps can run together but perform very slow.

Is there anyway to reduce the memory consumption for each app so it can run concurrently in 2GB ram?

3 answers

1 vote
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2017

IMO 2gb is not enough to run any of these standalone with decent performance, let alone all on one server.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2017

Completely agree.  The absolute minimum I'd give each application is 512Mb, and Confluence now counts twice if you enable collaborative editing.  You absolutely must give the operating system space to work as well, and 512Mb is pretty much the bottom end of the scale for a couple of them.

I wouldn't try to run that combination on a machine with less than 12Gb.

Like Olivier Johner likes this
0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2017

By default JIRA uses 768m and Confluence needs 1G for the core functionality and another 1G for collaborative editing. There needs to be some memory left for the operating system, as well, as Nic points out.

I found some documents that should help you provision the server:

JIRA Sizing Guide

Server Hardware Requirements Guide

Scaling Bitbucket Server

Bamboo Best Practice - System Requirements

0 votes
edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2017

Yes you can set the memory for each app by setting the maximum memory in setenv.sh of tomcat 

CATALINA_OPTS='-Xmx512m'

So you can have each one set to that.

Suggest an answer