Iot Product management in JIRA

Cassandra Sammons April 26, 2019

Wondering if anyone has used JIRA asset to manage their IoT products.  What I'm really wondering is how customizable is JIRA asset-can I add different types of assets (like Mobile apps as opposed to Software) and different customizable fields for the assets.  Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Bill Bill June 19, 2021

I've played with the idea of using Jira to manage state of things having nothing at all to do with projects, tasks, and team collaboration.

You could use an issue to manage IOT devices, if that's what you're asking.  For example, you could create a "Switch" issue type with a simple ON-OFF workflow.  When an ON or OFF transition is triggered, you fire a REST message to the appropriate webhook on the physical device via scriptrunner.

Imagine automating these.  Using settings in subissues to automate environmental settings of temperature, humidity, etc.  Of being able to use Jira standard tooling to automate these.  And best of all, you already have a well-defined dashboard and way to search amidst tons and tons of these switches and settings and who knows what.

The possibilities are endless ...

It breaks my heart sometimes to see Jira, an incredibly powerful tool conceptually, limited to only one possible niche where it could excel at so many other things with only changes in end-user configurations.  Even in the limited Cloud version!

Stanislav Shumlianskyi November 26, 2023

Hi Bill!

Did you ever create such POC of this?

I am currently looking for a set of tools that could be potentially usable at home and manageable from Jira and not from tons of other applications or other products such as cloud & on-premise Home Assistances etc.

Work and life in one place, in Jira :)

What comes to my mind after short research: Jira (Opsgenie) <-> MQTT client&server <-> Zigbee gateway & devices.

Potentially Forge app and as you mentioned webhooks + A4J from the Jira side could be a nice solution for low-traffic tasks related to IoT.

1 vote
Daniel Fietta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2019

Hi Cassandra,

Are you looking for a solution on Jira Cloud or Jira Server?

What do you mean by "Jira Asset"? Do you want to manage the assets within Jira? An easy approach would be to treat your assets like other tasks - simply as Jira issues. Then you can add custom fields to the assets and define a workflow for them.

Best regards,
Daniel
STAGIL

Suggest an answer