Internal error when uploading file to jira issue

We have a user who is unable to upload a file (1kb in size) to a JIRA issue, however as a system admin, I am able to. When he attempts to upload the file, he gets the following error:

'File <FileName> was not uploaded. An internal error has occurred. Please contact your administrator'

I've checked other Atlassian answers questions, such as this and this, however this is not the problem we're having. Our attachment size limit is set to 10MB so a file size of 1KB shouldn't be an issue...

Any assistance would be appreciated smile

3 answers

0 votes

Could you check the log?  It usually has more details which can help!

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

Yes, I've had a look at the logs (atlassian-JIRA and std-err), but as I expected, it doesn't tell me anything about why this is happening...sad

If there's an "internal error", it should have logged something, even just the act of having an internal error.  If there's absolutely nothing, then it's something on the browser side which is failing (lost network connection?)

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

There's not a lot in the log, i've looked thoroughly. He is now getting a different error whereby it's saying 'Browser made bad request to the server' which appears to be something cookie related... maybe...i've asked him to clear his browser cookies, but he's still getting the error and unable to upload the file.

I've raised a call with Atlassian for a bit of guidance too, but thank you for coming back to me.

Hi,

change your computer registry

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sql\Content Type from "text\plain" to "text/plain"

Hi,

You can use FireBug to examine the request  and to see more information.

The problem is probably the content-type of your file. See the request to know this information

Worth checking the file too (keeping things simple).

If the file is protected (or in Edit Mode in PDF) it may not upload.

Simply amending this status could enable the offending file to be uploaded.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,950 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot