Internal error when uploading file to jira issue

Helen Griffiths October 24, 2016

We have a user who is unable to upload a file (1kb in size) to a JIRA issue, however as a system admin, I am able to. When he attempts to upload the file, he gets the following error:

'File <FileName> was not uploaded. An internal error has occurred. Please contact your administrator'

I've checked other Atlassian answers questions, such as this and this, however this is not the problem we're having. Our attachment size limit is set to 10MB so a file size of 1KB shouldn't be an issue...

Any assistance would be appreciated smile

9 answers

3 votes
Openbank 911 December 19, 2018

In our case it was nginx. By default it rejected content more than 10 mb.

Jaroslav Pavlicek April 3, 2019

I can confirm, in my case default nginx setup rejected 2.1MB word file.

Like Aleksandr Ilin likes this
0 votes
Sc GPS October 26, 2021

Solutions:
1. vi /usr/local/nginx/conf/nginx.conf
In http {},
modify
client_max_body_size 10m;
to
client_max_body_size 100m;

In location /jira { }
modify
client_max_body_size 10m;
to
client_max_body_size 100m;

2. Restart Nginx server.
It will be ok.

0 votes
Cercel Silviu July 26, 2019

I had the same issue with a .png file. I just changed the extension to .jpg and it worked.

Cmbyc March 22, 2021

This works!! I also met the issue with a .png file, it is resolved by changing the file to .jpg.

0 votes
Paul Wright September 18, 2018

We had this issue and found it to be a firewall restriction on our side.  Not an issue since rules amended.
We also recently discovered that config in Jira SD should be 50% of ram availability, else performance could be hampered.  (Only mentioning as a FYI)

David September 9, 2019

What was the firewall restriction? Is there a different port in use during file upload other than 8080?

Cercel Silviu September 9, 2019

What is the extension of your file ?

David September 9, 2019

I have a contractor connected to Jira behind our firewall using VPN. He receives generic "internal issue" error when uploading a .JAR file. If he compresses to a ZIP and uploads he gets the same error. ZIP uploads are enabled and I'm unable to replicate the issue. I'm wondering if it is a firewall issue because his VPN security group is limited in access.

0 votes
Pupkin Vasya September 18, 2018

Same problem with mp4 file, Jira and Confluence - the same errors.

0 votes
Óscar Montero June 26, 2018

@Helen Griffiths I am having exactly the same situation, can you tell me how did you fixed it?

Steven Camilleri August 23, 2018

Same issue here but with the difference of .mp4 files? Is it possible Atlassian put some restrictions on certain file types?

0 votes
Paul Wright January 29, 2018

Worth checking the file too (keeping things simple).

If the file is protected (or in Edit Mode in PDF) it may not upload.

Simply amending this status could enable the offending file to be uploaded.

0 votes
Mohand TALBI November 18, 2016

Hi,

You can use FireBug to examine the request  and to see more information.

The problem is probably the content-type of your file. See the request to know this information

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2016

Could you check the log?  It usually has more details which can help!

Helen Griffiths October 24, 2016

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

Yes, I've had a look at the logs (atlassian-JIRA and std-err), but as I expected, it doesn't tell me anything about why this is happening...sad

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2016

If there's an "internal error", it should have logged something, even just the act of having an internal error.  If there's absolutely nothing, then it's something on the browser side which is failing (lost network connection?)

Helen Griffiths October 25, 2016

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

There's not a lot in the log, i've looked thoroughly. He is now getting a different error whereby it's saying 'Browser made bad request to the server' which appears to be something cookie related... maybe...i've asked him to clear his browser cookies, but he's still getting the error and unable to upload the file.

I've raised a call with Atlassian for a bit of guidance too, but thank you for coming back to me.

Mohand TALBI November 18, 2016

Hi,

change your computer registry

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sql\Content Type from "text\plain" to "text/plain"

Like Aleksandr Ilin likes this

Suggest an answer