Internal Comments for Jira Software ?

Vianney Lejeune August 16, 2019

Hello,

Sharing a Jira Software project with a customer and working on User Stories, I would like to be able to restrict certains comments that they are visible only to the development team, and not to the client.

The feature that seems to suit my use case is available on Service Desk, but perhaps there is a workaround for Jira Software ?

Thanks.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2019

Hello,

You can restrict comment visibility in the old issue view:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/add-restricted-comments-on-jira-962353957.html

0 votes
Deleted user December 16, 2021

Hi, there

Just to make sure I got it right: you can set the view in the old version of Jira, not in the new one. Is that right? 

0 votes
Vianney Lejeune August 16, 2019

Thanks for all your answers, does it means that basically each users group can see its own sets of comments ? Is my understanding correct ?

Having enabled "Check under JIRA Settings > System > General Configuration for "Comment visibility" make sure it's set to "Groups & Project Roles" and not "Project Roles only", however the functionality seems not to be here:

Untitled.jpeg

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2019

Your understanding is correct.

You should switch to the old issue view:

Screenshot 2019-08-16 at 13.33.53.png

michael September 24, 2020

Does anyone know if this is something that can be created in a Next-Gen project? 

Or if it is a feature that will be come soon?

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2019

Hi @Vianney Lejeune 

In software projects you have the option to restrict comments to project roles. You would need to talk to your administrator about roles memberships. 

e.g.

image.png

Regards

Tom

Tenzing Doleck October 26, 2022

Hi Tom- how would I enable this for cloud software projects?

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2022

HI @Tenzing Doleck 

You should see a lock icon at the bottom right

Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 19.59.54.png

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2022

if you want to set visibility to groups as well, you will need to set that on on the General Configuration settings

Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 20.10.49.png

Tenzing Doleck November 8, 2022

@Tom Lister 

Hi two questions

- Can I limit this for specific software projects or do these settings cascade to all projects in my company instance?

-Is there an option to make comments default to a particular goup?

Thank you !

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2022

Hi

When you limit to a project role it is only for the users in that role in the issues project. We added a roles to projects for users to use in this way but the downside was that we had to maintain permissions for those roles.

I don't know of any way to default to a particular group.

Suggest an answer