Integration between two JIRA instances in one company

Felipe Reis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2014

Currently my company has a JIRA instance which is used for literally everything. From project management to customer support and off course for development.

As of today we have around 500 active users registered in our JIRA base, most of them are customers who use JIRA to open helpdesk tickets. Another large part of this 500 is composed by internal users from departments unrelated to the dev team, like Marketing, Projects, Customer Relations and Consulting.

I'd really like to start using JIRA Agile on all development projects, but cannot get finnancial approval to acquire this plugin which will be used by only 15 users (that's how many people my Dev and QA teams have).

One solution is to get a second JIRA license bundled with Agile for 25 users and move all the dev projects to that instance. My concern is how the two instances could interact with each other. Sometimes a ticket raised by a client generates a bug typed issue in a dev project and we create a link between the two issues. How would that work in that scenario?

Thanks.

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2014

You can create issue links between JIRA instances. To do that you'll need to setup application link between the two. This is described in the documentation.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Issue+Linking

If you need to create an issue automatically - for example when some ticket is raised and a dev issue needs to be created you can achieve that in a couple of ways one of which is using the JIRA REST API.

Before purchasing a license for a second JIRA, you can test this scenario by creating a second JIRA with evaluation license and do a proof of concept, so you clarify all other potential problems you need to solve and then go forward and buy a commercial license.

For moving the required projects between instances, you can try out Configuration Manager for JIRA add-on.

3 votes
roman
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2017

Hi Felipe,

I would recommend having a look at Backbone Issue Sync for JIRA, which enables synchronisation of issues between JIRA projects or instances. The add-on provides high-granular configuration for issue types, attachments and can even synchronize issues between JIRA instances behind the firewall: https://help.k15t.com/backbone-issue-sync/latest/intro-to-distributed-configurations-119147090.html

If you have any questions, we'll be happy to help.

Cheers,
Roman. 

0 votes
Felipe Reis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2014

Boris, thank you for your excelent answer. I'll look into all of that. Cheers!

Suggest an answer