Integration between jira software and jira service desk

Deleted user December 25, 2016

I have two separate instances for jira software and jira service desk and i want to do full integration between them initially the below two main points , so is this possible using groovy scriptrunner and how can i do this i need sample scripts for such integration and steps how to implement it  ?

1-how can i configure the integration between jira software and jira service desk so when i do any change on the status or comment on issues from jira software to notify the customers and of related issue in jira service desk and update it accordingly and the same vise versa
2- i want to link several issue in jira SD to one issue in jira software AUTOMATICALLY in case there is multiple tickets opened by customers for specific known issue in jira software and then to notify the customer with any change on the status by doing the change on jira software issue related to these customer issues

3 answers

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 26, 2016

That's a heck of a lot of work to do, and much as I love the Script Runner (which will enable you to do most or all of it), I'm really not sure it's the best tool.

On your first question, in order of preference, I would:

1. Install Service Desk on the JIRA Software instance and use Script Runner to automate the handful of things that doesn't automatically do for you.
  2. Install K15t's Backbone synchronisation, or Idalko's Exalate, and use those to synchronise projects (I know Backbone can do what you need, and allows you to map workflow actions and fields.  I have not used Exalate for quite a while now, so I don't know it would match, but I imagine it is well worth evaluating)
  3. Do it the hard way, building a pile of scripts, webhooks, triggers and and and...

On your second question, yes, that's something Script Runner is good for - to the point where @Phill Fox [Adaptavist] has a standard incident/problem management process we drop into place for anyone who needs it.  That links the many reports of a problem to an incident and does automatic updates for all users and so-on.   The only question you'll need to think about with that is the "automatic" bit you mention.  How does your JIRA know that a user's problem report is a repeated report of the actual incident?

Deleted user December 26, 2016

Thanks alot @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] for your response i have some comments here 

1- You mentioned that you would install service desk on the JIRA software and this is not my case as i have JIRA service desk and JIRA software on separate instances , so is there any problem in that ?

2- Do you recommend me to use Backbone  instead of script-runner to fulfill my requirement and do you think this will help me in my case where i have the two applications on separate instances 

3-regarding to the point of linking issue you said that it's possible in script-runner but not sure regarding to the automatic way my question here is you know that the link of issues manually is available now and easy through some steps between JSD and JIRA software the question here is what will script-runner add in this case ? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 26, 2016
  1.  If the systems are installed on the same JIRA instance, then you are working on one issue, so there's no need for most of the pain you'd have to go through with "integration".
  2. That is basically what Backbone is for.
  3. Script runner can add things like the button to make an easy link to an incident, notify people who have raised multiple problems that the incident is resolved and so-on
2 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2016

To follow up on the comments by my colleague @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] implementing automation on a JSD can radically reduce your overhead in problem/incident management time. 

As Nic explained we already have a set of actions that are fully supported which we install in many organisations these include the following.

• Create a problem ticket with a single click from within an incident ticket
  • Create remedial action tickets from within incident/problem tickets
  • Automatic update of workaround field for all linked incidents when a problem ticket is updated
  • Automatic flagging of problems as the number of related incidents increases

We are always looking at other use cases to extend this automation and will consider any suggested. If you send me a direct message I will send you a link to download the instructions and all assets to achieve the above within an existing JIRA Service Desk/Software installation. 
If there is a need to keep your two instances separate (for security or other reasons) you would be able to adapt the scripts and processes to use the custom REST endpoints to trigger the same activity but as Nic hinted this is far more complex than using a single instance hosting JIRA Service Desk, JIRA Software and Scriptrunner for JIRA. Hosting within a single instance also gives you returns on investment as you only have one instance to administer/licence etc.

ayman qaddoura December 27, 2016

Thank you @Phill Fox [Adaptavist] , i will go with the option of two separate instances as this is my case and my environment is live now and there is no plan to make them one instance 

so please send me the links where i can download the scripts and the needed steps to achieve all these requirements 

appreciate your help 

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2016

Here is the link to download http://tinyurl.com/automate-PIM please note this expects the installation to host both JIRA Service Desk and JIRA Software in the same instance. You will need to make extensive changes to use the Custom REST endpoints to achieve the same result across two instances. (Or as suggested by @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] use a synchronisation tool)

Deleted user December 27, 2016

I'm confused a little bit here , Do you mean that i have to use the scripts with the synchronisation tool , or if i used synchronisation tool like Backbone  there is no need for the scripts at all ? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 28, 2016

You have confused the two strands of your question here.

1. Synchronisation
  2. Doing problem/incident management.

This part of the question is about the problem/incident management part.  You still have to do all the synchronisation stuff separately.  And that is going to make the problem/incident stuff a LOT more complex because you're having to work in two systems.

0 votes
Deleted user December 27, 2016

Hi Ayman Qaddoura,

JIRA  software and JIRA service desk server both integration configuration 

go to JIRA software --> Application—> integration—> Application Links—>give the JIRA service desk application url and integration is done then you have to run script runner test it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2016

This won't actually give you any integration beyond making the two systems aware of each other for some add-ons.  You'll still need to do the synchronisation stuff separately.

Deleted user December 28, 2016

ok

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events