Instant email notifications in JIRA

Jaco van der Merwe August 23, 2011

Currently there is a delay of about 1 minute before an email notification is sent out by JIRA after a change has been made to an issue, e.g. when a comment is added. Is there a way to configure JIRA to reduce this dealy, or even make it instantaneous?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2011

There's a workaround to run jobs at scheduled times rather than at intervals, which might work (if you schedule it for every second). It's posted as a comment in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1865

1 vote
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2011

You could install a Quartz job that flushes the mail queue every 5 seconds, then you wouldn't have to handle creating the mails etc. Personally I think if people can't wait one minute for an email something is wrong with your working practices.

Unless, you're using emails for some sort of integration, which I think also is a bad practice.

1 vote
Alexander Johannes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2011

Mails are queued up and the queue is checked by the Mail Queue Service once a minute. Since the service is a regular JIRA service, you cannot reduce this timeframe further.

If you need instant delivery, maybe you can write a post function, which will create and send an e-mail circumventing the normal JIRA mail system.

0 votes
Eric Hall October 30, 2011

Our other services send mail without delay, which means that if we take an action and we get an email for it, we can mark that email as read right away *while* we're still focusing on that particular task. Having to wait a minute or having to come back to it later and reload context can be a real pain.

I'd love to see a way to have emails sent out immediately rather than held up in a queue.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2011

I think you should create a new RFC for this, covering both send and receive emails. It cannot be done with the current services (OSI level 7, TCP level 4) for email.

Suggest an answer