Installing Confluence breaks Jira logins

David Kirkwood February 17, 2019

Hi All,

I have been a Jira admin for many years and have installed several systems, but I am stumped now.

I have been trying to set up a Jira/Confluence installation to use as a records system for a school in Uganda. Jira installs and sets up correctly and is stable and usable over extended periods.

On trying to install Confluence, however, it instantly breaks the Jira logins - it is no longer possible to log in to Jira with any ID (500 error -

com.atlassian.crowd.exception.runtime.UserNotFoundException: User <dak> does not exist

) and the Confluence installation never passes the user stage.

The problem appears to happen at the exact point of telling Confluence how to manage user logins and it does not matter if it is local or via Jira, the results are always exactly the same.

Confluence installs correctly stand-alone, but even trying to use different databases for Jira and Confluence has not helped.

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

System

My own VPS running Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04, always reinstalled and updated before installation. Jira 7 or 8, Confluence 6.12 or 6.14. All combinations have been tried, the results are always the same. 

Edited to mention Postgres 10

3 answers

0 votes
David Kirkwood March 3, 2019

Right, it's been a couple of weeks now, so here's an update.

It's still not working. As before, Jira installs without any problems, but installing Confluence breaks all Jira logins.

I have now attempted this on three different hosts, using Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04. One host complained about the Postgres character set during the Confluence install but I fixed that and it made no difference.

I'm now about to try with Centos 7, about which I know very little, bu tit seems to be Atlassian's OS of choice.

I'll keep you posted.

dak

0 votes
Marty
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2019

Hi David,

I am not on the Jira or Confluence teams and am no expert here, but I'll try to help.

It looks like you have a few options in terms of how you manage users across Jira and Confluence.

One is to use Jira's user base for Confluence.

The other is to use a third piece of software called Crowd to centrally manage users / groups / etc. across 2+ Atlassian products.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/connecting-to-crowd-or-jira-for-user-management-229838465.html

I hope that helps!

Hi @Marty ,

Many thanks for replying. I had heard of Crowd before but have never used it.

I'll certainly give it a try. Is it installed after Jira but before Confluence?

This installation is for a charity, but the extra cost is not really an issue. I'm having to hand over eventual support to their own (brand new) team so the fewer applications I can get away with, the better.

I'm just extremely puzzled as to why the standard installation - that I have built many times before - has suddenly given up.

I'll download Crowd and experiment over the next couple of days. I'll come back and let you know how I get on.

Again, thanks,

dak

Marty
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2019

Hi David,

you don't *have* to use Crowd.  That article I linked shows you how to use the Jira User Base for Confluence.

Yes, but that's what I have tried to do and it hasn't worked.

Have started installing Crowd now. It's a bit more work but if it gives a robust system I'll be happy.

Thanks

Like Marty likes this
0 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2019

Hi, @David Kirkwood !

Does it mean that when Confluence uses local user directory Jira fails?

Do you delete jira directory in Confluence?

Best regards,

Vasiliy.

Hi @Vasiliy Zverev ,

yes, Jira fails if Confluence tries to use either local or Jira users.

There is no back-end operation at all, everything is done through the browser.

Thanks,

dak

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2019

Hm, with directories uses Jira to manage users? Is it internal one or Active Directory?

Is there the only directory in Confluence, or several?

It's done however Jira manages its own users. I thought that was done in the Postgres database, I may be wrong.

I thought that Confluence did the user management in a similar manner.

There is no Active Directory.

(I'll add the Postgres details to the original description.)

Thanks,

dak

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2019

Ok, 

Which user directories uses Jira instance? Is it only internal one?

David Kirkwood March 3, 2019

Sorry, Vasiliy, I don't understand this question.

Suggest an answer