Installation of Safari Prohibited

Tony Angel December 23, 2020

Hi everyone,

I purchased a MacBook pro from a student about 2 years ago. I am currently trying to update the Safari browser to Mac BigSur but I am not allowed to. I receive the following message: " Per [24]7.ai Corp IT Policy, installation of this OS is prohibited. If you have any questions regarding this, please contact Help Desk by Submitting a Jira Ticket." How can I remove this? I contacted the Help Desk by email about a month ago and have not heard from them. 

Thank you in advance.

2 answers

1 vote
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 23, 2020

Hi @Tony Angel, welcome to the Community!

Sounds like the Macbook might have some corporate policies applied to it still. Would it be correct that this is a personal machine now, and not something you use for work?

At the time of purchase, it would have been best if the operating system was wiped/reinstalled. Sounds like that might not have been the case. I think you have a couple options:

1. Save your personal documents and settings to an external hard drive. Then, reinstall MacOS and bring your documents and settings back.
  2. Contact the IT department of the school of the student you bought the machine from. They can either release the machine from their corporate policies (I imagine they would prefer to not have a managed machine that isn't part of the school anymore out in the world) or assist with a wipe/reinstall.

I should mention that this particular message board is for Atlassian the company and not the particular school in question. We support Jira - which is the issue tracking software the school's IT department is using from the sounds of things.

If you know which school it was, I can try digging around on the internet a bit to see if there's more contact info for you. Here's the Apple article for reinstalling MacOS (and you have an Intel processor by the dates you mentioned) - but this does wipe your personal data. You need to back up your documents and settings to an external drive before reinstalling MacOS, otherwise they'll be irrecoverably lost.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2020

Hi Tony, you are in the wrong place for this. You need to open a Jira ticket within the company you are working with. This is a public help forum for Atlassian products. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2020

I got much the same this morning.  You have no choice but to ask the nominal "owner" of the machine to release ownership to you.  (In my case, I slack'd Rob, who set the flag to allow me to upgrade the machine I call "mine", but technically and legally belongs to Adaptavist)

Suggest an answer