Initiatives - auto pull epics/stories in a plan?

Kristen Anderson November 2, 2020

I've created a new project INITIATIVES that holds all of our initiatives. (For example, INI-5)

Scrum teams have created epics that are linked to INITIATIVES (For example, EPIC-2 is linked to INI-5)

Scrum teams have created stories linked to epic (For example, STY-1 is linked to EPIC-2)

In Advanced Roadmap, I want to pull all epics/stories related to an initiative specified.  (For example, INI-5 pull all of the epics and stories).  I don't want to have to specifically call out each board that might have an epic tied to INI-5.  

But when I select just INI-5 as the only board and Initiative for my plan, it doesn't pull in any other team Epic/Story that's linked to INI-5.  

2 answers

0 votes
Crystelle S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2021

@Kristen Anderson we had the same issue. I know it's a significant investment but in a large organization I really have found Scriptrunner to be a lifesaver. I still pull in the boards as recommended above to gather the velocity of the teams but in addition I run recursive queries and store in Plan filters that utilize linkedIssuesOf() and portfolioChildrenOf()/portfolioParentOf().

This might not be the answer for you but I thought I would propose it. 

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2020

Hi @Kristen Anderson,

If at a given point in time you want to use the real velocity of your teams as a planning parameter in your roadmap, you may find out that pulling in boards is a very useful thing to do. For that use case, it works best if you use a single board that holds all the projects by team, rather than - indeed - pulling in boards for every single project.

You could pull in the Epics and stories based on JQL filters somewhat like this:

For epics:

IssueType = Epic and "Parent Link" is not EMPTY

For stories it may get harder, as there is no easy way to link your stories to only the epics with a link to initiatives. But still, this may get you on your way:

IssueType in StandardIssueTypes() and "Epic Link" is not EMPTY

Another downside, however, is that the issues at the different levels of you roadmap hierarchy MUST be linked directly in your Jira issues, where you don't have the overview that you would have in your roadmap.

Long story short - I think you can come close to what you are initially asking for, but I would recommend thinking about setting up a limited set of dynamic team boards first and pulling in those into your plan.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events