Initiatives and Epics in Different Projects

Larry Flowers May 3, 2023
I have a "Portfolio" project that contains all of our initiatives but nothing else, only linked epics that are in other projects.
Then I have about 14 team projects that have several Epics linked to these initiatives.
In order for me to report on the entire portfolio of the initiatives and their linked Epics, I want to see all Epics associated with these initiatives and perform any query needed beyond that.
I created a Query in JIRA that works with this filter and I could use this as a Structure for additional queries. Project in ("Project-A") AND issuekey in childIssuesOf(Initiative-1) OR issuekey in childIssuesOf(Initiative-2) ...and so on about 20 more times.
While the filter itself works, it takes a very long time. When I build dashboards in Confluence or in Jira, they sometimes work but they usually timeout and sometimes server disconnected.

Is there a better more efficient way I can build the JQL query?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Hi @Larry Flowers,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Without using an app that extends JQL your only option is the query that you have since default JQL do not allow you to do nested queries. I know from experience that Scriptrunner and JQL Tricks can create a better query where you can search for all initiatives and get their children without having to enter each initiative. There are also other apps in the Marketplace that can do this. 

Larry Flowers May 4, 2023

Hi Mikael,

I truly appreciate the response and it is what I was expecting unfortunately. At least it is a comfort knowing this is the best it gets at this time.  We will be moving to cloud at the end of the year so getting any additional addons at this point is not even being considered.  

Many thanks,

Larry

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

Suggest an answer