Initiative not available on a Portfolio plan when it previously had been

Ken Dickinson December 8, 2017

JIRA Server Version:  v7.3.1

Portfolio Version:  v2.7.0

Hey all,

First let me say that I'm new to Portfolio, so the odds that I've made a simple mistake are high. However, I've scoured the forums and while I've been able to find many with my problem, I haven't yet discovered an answer.

Last night I created my first plan in portfolio. 3 boards, 7 projects, 3 teams.

From the initial scope screen I was able to view all of my Epics, each appearing as unassigned to a parent initiative. So from this same screen, I created a handful of Initiatives and began assigning Epics to each of them. 

This worked out great. I was able to see them in the hierarchy, on the timeline, in reports. All looked well and I went and committed my changes.

I take a look at it this morning again and all of my Initiatives are absent from the plan. The epics are still there, but theres no association with the Initiative. The Initiatives don't even appear in the Parent Initiative drop down box on the Epics.

However, the Initiatives do exist. And can be found with an open ended search. The same way you would find any issues in JIRA. 

I'm at a loss as to why my Initiatives have left my plan. We don't do Releases yet, we don't do fix versions yet. So I'm wondering if there's some prerequisite that I'm missing. Anyone have any insight?

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2017

Hi Ken,

There is another Communities post I came across that may help titled JIRA Portfolio Plan View - Created Initiatives disappear from Plan upon Commit.  The issue may be  related to an open bug that you can find at JPOSERVER-1283.  If you hide your fix version field you can unhide it to resolve the issue.

If you do hide this field and it resolves the issue let me know and vote on JPOSERVER-1283.  If that does not, take a look at the post I linked to above for additional steps and we'll go from there.

Cheers,

Branden

Hey Branden,

Thank you for the quick reply. I've combed though each project included in the scope and it doesn't appear that I have the "Fix Version(s)" field hidden in any field configurations being used by any of the projects in scope. It is however excluded from some screens. Have you seen that have any impact? 

Staying on the subject of Fix Version(s), I do have a mix of usage there. Some of the projects are using the field, while others are not. Just in case that's helpful.

Ken

Note: Added in affected versions into my original post

Luke Nieuwsma November 26, 2018

I just ran into the same thing today. Had my portfolio looking beautiful last week, then POOF. Everything had disappeared but one initiative when I opened portfolio this afternoon. 

Suggest an answer