Informative message on resolution pop up screen - how can you add one?

Claire Nelson September 16, 2021

The default JIRA workflow when you go to Resolve Ticket or Close Ticket has a pop up screen appear and a blue information bar before the fields that need populating which says:
Resolving a ticket indicates that the developers are satisfied the ticket is finished. 
and
Closing a ticket indicates that there is no more work to be done on it, and that it has been verified as complete. 
If you make a copy of the default workflow these still appear but only for those two transitions, adding the exact pop up screen to say Start Progress transition results in the pop up appearing but no blue information bar at the top. 
Not using the default workflow but having transitions to Resolve Ticket or Close Ticket and using the same pop up also results in no blue information bar at the top. 
I am unable to pinpoint how that information bar gets initiated in our instance. 

Is there a way to put an information message on other transitions and/or in a workflow that is not a copy of/the default workflow? 

I am aware that you can use field configuration to place a description under a custom field but this blue banner is neater! 

Thank you. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2021

Hi @Claire Nelson ,

I think you can add this blue message from your Workflow, by adding the following property in the desired transition :

Property Key : jira.i18n.title

Property Value : resolveissue.title

Let me know if it works,

Guilhem

Claire Nelson September 16, 2021

Hi Guilhem

Thank you for your reply. Doing that amended the name on the button on the ticket to transition it (which was called Start Progress) to say Resolve Ticket but did not put an information bar in the pop up. 
It is being able put a message like 'Resolving a ticket indicates that the developers are satisfied the ticket is finished', but a bespoke one, that I am hoping to achieve.

Thank you!

Claire

Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2021

Oh, then I'm not sure of the result you can obtain using these Properties, I'm trying to figure out what in this default Workflow could trigger this message;

You can try an other transition property :

Key : jira.i18n.submit

Value : resolveissue.resolve

I'm not sure it's going to work but it's the last idea I have :/

Like Claire Nelson likes this
Claire Nelson September 17, 2021

That property changes the button that you click on the pop up message from whatever it has as set on the transition (in my case Start Progress) to say Resolve instead. 
This message is magical it appears! 
Thanks for replying and investigating Guilhem, it is much appreciated! 

Like Guilhem Dupuy likes this
Guilhem Dupuy
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2021

You're Welcome, happy to help :) 

0 votes
Johnny Mon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2023

Hi @Claire Nelson and @Guilhem Dupuy ,

The information banner in the default workflow is specified by a hidden "meta name="jira.i18n.description" element inside the Close Issue workflow transition, visible only when you export the workflow an XML file:

<action id="2" name="Close Issue" view="resolveissue">
<meta name="opsbar-sequence">60</meta>
<meta name="jira.i18n.submit">closeissue.close</meta>
<meta name="jira.i18n.description">closeissue.desc</meta>
<meta name="jira.i18n.title">closeissue.title</meta>

We just need to add the element to the workflow transition you wish to have the same banner.  Since, this workflow transition property is unavailable in the UI, we'll have to modify it in the XML.  This involves the following:

1. export the workflow to XML file
  2. edit the XML file to add the above meta tag to the workflow transition
  3. import the XML file to a new workflow 
  4. replace the old workflow in the project workflow scheme with the new one
  5. publish the workflow

After it is done, we have the old workflow in the Inactive section, so we can always reassign it back to the project when needed.  A similar method can be used to remove information banners as well by removing the same meta tag.

I attached a video showing how to do this in my workflow 'Software Workflow", where I added the "Close Issue" banner to a new transition called "Resolve2".  This is tested with Jira Software 8.20.10.

copy-default-Close-Issue-information-banner-to-new-workflow-transition 

The information is more than a year late, but I hope it will still be helpful for everyone.

Additional Information

The banner text (in Jira Software 8.20) is defined in the file "JiraWebActionSupport.properties" under the Jira installation directory

<Jira installation directory>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/com/atlassian/jira/web/action/JiraWebActionSupport.properties

for the default language pack. 

So, technically we may be able to build our own customize language pack and add/modify/remove information banners in workflow transitions.  

Exclaimer

:warning: Manually editing a workflow.xml is not a supported operation and should be considered a workaround.

Suggest an answer