Increasing size of JVM

siva September 21, 2022

Hello Team,

In our Jira we have 300000(3 lakh) issues in 200 projects and current JVM MAX Memory is 6144m and MIN Memory is 3072m.

Jira is getting down continously due to out of memory issue. can you please suggest depending on what parameters do we need to increase the JVM size and to how much do we need to increase.

Regards,

Siva

2 answers

0 votes
siva September 21, 2022

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the reply, Yes in the peak hours Jira getting down and need to restart manually. and some times I found that the Memory Graph is reached to its maximum value and found that only 10% to 20% free so I am doing Force Garbage Collection at that time.

Regards,

Siva

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2022

Ok, that's suggestive of a memory leak.  I'm afraid you're going to need to dig into what the JVM is doing - what is not freeing up the memory.  That's not a fun thing to do - JVM investigations are complex and arcane.

Increasing the memory heap (by maybe 256Mb at a time) may help without needing proper investigation, but if it is a memory leak, all it will do is increase the time it takes to get to a failure.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2022

300k issue can easily be handled by a Jira with a 6Gb heap, that's not going to be the problem.

I'm afraid you need to take a good look at all of the sizing of your systems and what your users are doing with it.  How are you monitoring the JVM?  Does the memory usage gradually creep upwards until it crashes and needs a restart (indicative of a memory leak)?

Suggest an answer