Incoming Mailhandler, from Address is missing Edited

We have created successfully a incoming mail handler which creates issues by sending an e-mail to the configured address.

My problem is, that the "from" address is not added to the created issue. Becasue we don't want, that users are automatically created this information is very important. Without it, the feature is currently useless for us, because we can't reply to the reporter.

1 answer

1 accepted

You could save the address in a customfield.

Ok, sounds good. I know where to add custom fields. But I don'T find a way to get the from adress vom the mailhandler to put it into the custom field.

Can you explain how this should work?

You could try it with this:

message.getFrom()

Then you get the adress(es).

I recommend injecting the MessageUserProcessor in your constructor to get an ApplicationUser directly like this if your goal is to first search for a valid JIRA user or you want to further interact with the system if you found a user:

messageUserProcessor.getAuthorFromSender(message) 

I think my question was misleading. We have not written our own mailhandler, we used the build in, from jira.

So, we don't have access to the message object.

Ok then this is another topic, I see.

So is there anything in your log-files that may indicate what is going wrong here?

We are using jira cloud. So, no log files available.

I have raised a support ticket to atlassian. They told me, that it is not possible. Only chance would be to let the mail handler create users -> which costs 7€ per received e-mail and month. So it is not an option. Or to buy a service desk license.

So, an easy technical task is not wanted for econemy reasons ;)

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

I am sorry for you that this is not possible. 

Your welcome!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,189 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot