In Progress Status is showing as Done.

Leslie Jordan February 15, 2018

When I move something from To Do to In Progress, the Check Mark with 'Done' shows up beside the status. Then, I don't have the option to move something to done. If you look at the workflow, the In Progress status is in fact the In Progress status category. Why would this be happening and how do I fix it?

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 9.04.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-15 at 9.04.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-15 at 9.14.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-15 at 9.11.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-15 at 9.11.25 PM.png

2 answers

1 vote
Kyle Moseley
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2018

That Done beside the check mark is actually the issue resolution. Make sure your  workflow or screens are not unintentionally allowing the resolution to be set too early in your workflow. Also make sure that in your workflow, if people are able to re-open issues, the resolution is being cleared by post function on those transitions.

Leslie Jordan February 16, 2018

I'm a newbie to setting up workflow. How do I go about making sure my 'workflow or screens are not unintentionally allowing the resolution to be set early in the workflow'? 

Kyle Moseley
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2018

Go to your Project's Administration page (typically the settings icon in the bottom left of the page) if you're a JIRA admin and see the screens and workflows involved in this project. Click into them to edit.

Editing a screen: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/adding-editing-and-deleting-a-screen-868982914.html

Editing your workflow's transition: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-clear-the-resolution-field-when-the-issue-is-reopened-648381467.html

First off, thank you so much for your help @Kyle Moseley, I really appreciate it.

When I go to edit a screen per the instructions, the only thing it seems I am able to edit are the title and description (the page is blank below 'update'):

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 7.55.51 AM.png

For the second "editing your workflow's transition", I have no clue how to get to that screen in the KB article. :)

Not sure if this helps, but if I go to edit the workflow itself, you'll see the only defined transition is the create transition to 'To-Do', there are no transitions set up to/from any other state. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 8.02.40 AM.png

Kyle Moseley
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 16, 2018

Okay. So in kind of a confusing way, the editing of the issue screen just edits the title/description. You'll want to click into the Screen to 'edit' the fields on it. If 'resolution' is on the Create/Edit screen, your users are being prompted for resolution too early.

For the workflow, click that pencil icon beside the workflow's name. Then click on the lines into the statuses (transitions) for links to the post-functions. Post-functions are actions performed after the transition takes place and the issue lands in the status.

So this helped: "For the workflow, click that pencil icon beside the workflow's name. Then click on the lines into the statuses (transitions) for links to the post-functions. Post-functions are actions performed after the transition takes place and the issue lands in the status."

In Progress was setting the resolution to done as you figured, and Done was clearing the resolution. So I fixed that! Thank you.

Final issue with that, when I set to In Progress, the option to move it to 'Done' is still not showing. Why would this be? The workflow shows that can be moved to 'Done' from any status.

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 8.29.26 AM.png

Also, now something random and seemingly unrelated has happened since I made these changes. If I go to the backlog, only stories in the current sprint are showing, the backlog now shows as empty (even though there are a number of issues in the backlog). I have no filters on the board. All issues show if I go to 'Issues'.

Kyle Moseley
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 16, 2018

You may have a condition on Done's transition requiring your issue to be resolved.

Go back into the workflow and instead of editing the post-functions, inspect the conditions on the Done transition.

There are no conditions on the Done transition. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 12.27.32 PM.png

Kyle Moseley
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 16, 2018

Check the Permission Scheme (from the project administration) to make sure you're given the permission to "Resolve Issues". It may correlate to a project role right now, or allow for reporters/assignee, etc.

This looks like anyone should be able to resolve issues? Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 5.11.45 PM.png

Leslie Jordan February 20, 2018

I still need help here. When we select the In Progress button, the status goes to Done, when I hit to the Done button, the status goes to In Progress.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2018

Your transistions have the wrong end-points.  You'll need to edit the workflow and either rename the transitions or swap their ends over.

Leslie Jordan February 20, 2018

I'm not sure how to change the endpoints to the right status. If I look at the transition end points in the diagram, they look like they are set correctly. The In Progress Transition ends in 'In Progress'. The Done Transition ends in 'Done'.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 12.44.48 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2018

Ok, that looks correct.  It must be other transitions that are wrong.

0 votes
Leo Hernandez August 30, 2022

From four years in the future, I have revived this thread to say thank you!!!

Suggest an answer