In JIRA can a comment to reference another comment

Hi all,

In JIRA can a comment to reference another comment.  So typing in a comment that refers to another comment, say in another project.    I know each comment is stored in the database and has to have a unique to to access within the database so it is possible, just do know if anyone has done anything like this.

I know that I can create a request for enhancement if it doesn't but I was just not sure if it does.  

Thanks to anyone who knows,

Robert

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Accepted answer
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Feb 16, 2016

Hi Robert,

if you hover with the mouse over a comment, you will see a chain-link-sign. Right click on this icon, copy this link to the clipboard and paste this link to the new comment.

Thomas 

That permanent link is very ugly. Is there a better solution? I hope there's a way to jump from a comment to another one with shorter link name.

@Young If within the same issue, the anchor link can be used to refer to the comment where the actual text might look like something like:

See comment below [#comment-10212]

And display like:

See comment below comment-10212

@Thomas Schlegel or someone please post a picture of the chain link sign. I don't see the sign when I mouse over a comment. However I'm able to find link for an issue (but not a specific comment in a issue)

@William Byrne How do you find the comment number within an issue? Please enlighten me.

Thank you

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Oct 04, 2018

@Rita Fowers, here it is:

image.png

Hi @Thomas Schlegel

Thanks for the screenshot. I realized that you're using an older version of jira. I'm using jira cloud and the new version no longer has this option. :(

@Rita Fowers - In Cloud you have to select "Permalink"

image.png

@Thomas Schlegel

Yes I understand, there are a couple aspects I found that are not user friendly. Allow me to explain:

1. Jira just released a new update to the cloud UI which was automatically applied to my account. I had to select "go back to the old view" in order for the permalink option to show up. 

2. But even then this permalink option isn't available in Active Sprint or Backlog menu (i'm using a scrum board). It's however available in "Issues and Filters" menu. This makes it so that if I'm making a comment to an issue in Active Sprint or Backlog views and need to refer to an earlier comment in the same issue, I have to exist out of the view, go to Issues and Filters, and find the permalink of the earlier comment and return back to paste it. 

Are you aware if the permalink option is available for individual comments in Active Sprint or Backlog menu?

Thank you

@Rita Fowers - We don't use Cloud in our environment, I only have an account for answering questions here, so I don't have that much experience with Cloud.

I looked at the new issue view and also did not find the permalink option.

Please use the "Give feedback" - function and tell Atlassian about this. I know, they are reading feedback carefully.

Your question was also asked a few weeks ago:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/How-can-I-get-the-permalink-to-a-comment-in-the-new-2018-Issue/qaq-p/886170

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,734 views 17 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you