In JIRA Service Desk, How do I preserve the history of an email thread? Edited

JIRA version : 7.3.3

JSD version : 3.4

Description of issue:

I am looking to implement JIRA Service Desk in my organisation and one of the requirements from the business is that all email communications (we only use email to make request) maintains the email history of the back and forth on each ticket,   the reason for this is if a person is CC'ed on the email thread in the middle of a discussion then they can see the full history from before they were added.

So I went into Applications ->JIRA Service Desk -> Email Requests and went to the 'Strip Quotes' section and checked the 'Don't Strip quotes (Copies the entire email thread.)' radio button thinking that this would allow me to achieve what I am looking for.

So now when a Email is sent in to Service Desk from a customer the mail history is preserved but if an agent responds within the ticket it does not keep the history of the email.  And so now if anyone is added to the email thread from this point on they will not see the conversations that have happened up until they were added.

Does anyone know of a way to get this to work within Service Desk or even a plugin to get it to do this?

One way that would make this work is if the was an 'Insert Variable' called ${AllPublicComments} available in the 'Public Comment Added' rule template in the 'Customer Notification' section.

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes

Hi Gary,

You definitely did your homework =) You're correct that the 'srtrip quotes' setting doesn't affect the content of email notifications that customers receive.

The only option for viewing previously added comments when a user is added to an issue is to view it in the portal. Alternatively, the agent can copy/paste the thread after the user has been added, but that's a bit cumbersome to scale...

I explored this a bit to see if I could find some workaround, and wasn't able to. I couldn't find a variable that would include what you're after, and I wasnt' able to find an addon either.

Please raise this as a feature request, and I'll follow our internal process as well, to get this feedback to our dev team. You can find existing feature requests and file new ones here: https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Thanks for the question!

Hi Will,

Thanks for the response on this,  unfortunatly my customers are unable to use the Portal at this time as our JIRA server instance is behind a firewall so they don't have direct access to it,  only via email.

I found a ticket already on Attlassian.com that mataches exactly what I am looking for https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-5188,  so I added a vote for it rather than duplicating the request.

Thanks

-Gary

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,934 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot