Importing issues from bugzilla into existing cloud site

Newlyn Erratt July 30, 2019

I've been trying to figure out how to handle this import.  I have a bugzilla instance and have been able to get everything imported into a Jira server instance.

The issue comes with doing the actual import.  From everything I'm reading, doing the import will blow away all existing projects in our corporate cloud site.  I don't have the ability to take it down, do a merge, and reimport as jira is being used pretty much 24/7.

With that in mind, is there any way for me to get data from either my bugzilla instance, or my evaluation Jira server instance into Jira cloud? If it matters, the project name does not currently exist in Jira Cloud.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2019

If you want to retain all data, you need to pull the Cloud data down, import it in to a Server instance, merge the Bugzilla data, and then push the whole mess back in to Cloud.  Assuming you do this, you would be better to redo the Bugzilla import in to the Server instance that you stand up with the Cloud data. That saves you needing a 3rd party App to export a single Project (or the hassle of doing a native Project Import.) 

An alternative would be to use the "Export to Excel" function from filter results in Jira. You will be limited to 1000 issues per search and you will lose Comments, Attachments and issue history this way, though.  We normally find this method unacceptable for our clients, so it may not be an option for you either.

You could look in to purchasing an App that can synchronize issues between instances, such as Exalate. That App is available for Server and Cloud.

Sorry I don't have better news for you. :)

Newlyn Erratt July 30, 2019

No worries, thanks for the info you did have.  I'm going to dig into third party tools as I hadn't even considered that being an option. I don't know that there's any better option other than setting up this specific project as it's own Atlassian cloud site.

Going to go ahead and mark this as an answer as exalate looks like a decent option and a good price especially for a one off thing like this.

Eiren Smith December 9, 2019

@Newlyn ErrattWould you mind pointing to the steps you followed to import Bugzilla records into Jira? I'm hoping for a solution that includes attachments.

Suggest an answer