Importing Trello into JIRA without emailing users

Sophie Wright May 17, 2019

Hey

I've been tasked with moving a workflow from Trello to JIRA but is there a way to do it without adding every user's email address in from Trello? I'd like to set the board up how it needs to be without anyone being notified, unless it will accept made up emails which i doubt!

Thanks!

3 answers

1 vote
Richard Bate September 2, 2019

I've just done this using email aliases and it's worked perfectly. 

using your own email, add 'email.format+123@domain.com, repeat for each user ensuring each entry is unique. you have the option to not enable users during the process. you may get some spam emails but that's as bad as it gets 

0 votes
Lachlan Macnish October 20, 2020

Seconding the need for this feature. The Trello Import is also importing Guests to compound the problem.

I tried JSON import from a JSON exported from Trello, but it doesn't like the file format.

I don't have Trello Business Class so can't export CSV.

I'd prefer to skip user import entirely, but especially don't want to import Guests.

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2019

Hello Sophie,

The only way to import Trello cards without notifying or importing any users would be by first exporting it by CSV or JSON and then importing it to JIRA, using the CSV or JSON import option under the external system import instead of the inbuilt Trello import.

Performing it, you would be able to avoid the notifications to the users by temporarily removing the create issue notification. These would be the specific steps:

- Follow the instructions in this article to export your Trello Cards to a CSV or JSON file

- Navigate to the Jira projects where the cards should be added > Project Settings > Notifications > Take a print from the Create Issue notification and then remove its e-mail recipients

- Navigate to JIRA Settings > System > External System Import

- Select the CSV or JSON option to import your Trello file

- Once the import is finished, use the print to add the e-mail recipients back to your project notification scheme

Let me know if this information helps.

Suggest an answer