Importing Date Modified/ Date Updated into JIRA through csv file

I am importing data via csv file using the system importer from the Admin side (not the project admimistration side). I am trying to import the dates of last updated into the system field "Date Modiefied."

This does not work as I had thought and instead the date updated reflects the date that I did the imports on.

Does anyone know how to import dates into the Date Modified field using csv file through the system importer?

1 answer

1 accepted

Form a quick look at a source code of JIRA Importers Plugin (responsible for CSV import functionality in JIRA) I conclude that theoretically "Date Modified" (last updated timestamp) should be supported.

However the functionality is quite fragile, as if you import much more than just basic fields, it can be quickly overwritten by subsequent methods (e.g. responsible for custom fields, linking, attachments, etc.).

Does importing just the summary and Date Modified work for you? If yes, then could you try importing first everything (but losing Date Modified) and then, in the second pass, importing (that is updating) just Date Modified? In the second pass you would have to have a CSV file just with two columns: issue key, update date.

Cheers,
Wojtek

Thank you for the great suggestion. I took your adviced and tried it out and actually figured out what was going wrong.

Apparently when you import with a previous configuration file so that the mapping is already done for you, the updated date does not actually reflect what you have in the csv.

You have to actually manually map the fields yourself in order for the updated date to reflect what you have in the csv.

CRAZY!

Sounds like a bug. Could you please raise an issue at https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/JIM and ideally provide sample json config file and CSV file which demonstrates this problem? You can set Security Level to "Reporter and Atlassian Staff only" to make sure that this data is not disclosed publicly, if it's sensitive.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,815 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot