Import issues from csv without admin permissions

Tanya Gordon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2018
I'm looking for some work around or some creative solution on how I enable my users to import issues from a csv file without giving them admin permissions. They do have all needed project permissions on the relevant projects.

2 answers

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 3, 2018

Hello Tanya,

Unfortunately, the system administration permission it's required to perform CSV imports on JIRA.

As an option, you can create a script template using JIRA REST API, so your users will only need the Browse Project and Create Issue permissions to bulk create the issues using the Script.

Once you create the template, they will only need to populate the fields with the data of the new issues and run it on JIRA.

Tanya Gordon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2018

Sounds very interesting! 

Could you please elaborate on the script template? How do you create it and how the user inputs data into the template?

Thanks,

Tanya

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 3, 2018

Hello Tanya,

Here's the documentation on How it works/What is REST API:

REST APIs

And here are some examples of how you can use it to create issues:

JIRA REST API Examples

The curl commands to create the issues as mentioned on the documentation can be executed on your machine terminal.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

0 votes
Ahmet Kilic _catworkx November 27, 2019

Hallo Tanja,

you don't need to type script or any Rest Api for importing issues or even their links as well.

Firstly importing issue as non admin:

1-On the top menu click on "Issues"

2-Pick up "Import Issues form CSV"

3-Map your file

Secondly in order to import links, your admin have to add "Linked Issue" field on your Create Screen, to aim to see link types. As shown in the image below with mouse cursor.

Linked Issues on configuration.png

Ultimately you may specify your outward link, as shown in the image below.

Linked Issues on mapping.png

Sarah Shepard December 3, 2019

Hi there, thanks for the response! I think I understand your reply to say that your admin need Linked Issue permissions. But the topic is how can a user (NOT an admin user) import a csv?

Ahmet Kilic _catworkx December 3, 2019

without some configuration as shown above you may not unfortunately.

Sarah Shepard December 3, 2019

Bummer!

Suggest an answer