Import hierarchical data to JIRA w/JSON

Am I to believe that the one web page, entitled "Importing data from JSON", is the entirety of documentation for importing to JIRA via JSON?   Really?

1 answer

0 votes

Are you on Jira Server or Jira Cloud?  We do have slightly different versions of the same document for each platform:

Jira Cloud: Importing data from JSON

Jira Server: Importing data from JSON

Could you explain in some more detail what else you are looking for here?   I gather you want to import some data into Jira, I'm just curious to learn the source of that data to see if perhaps there might exist other alternatives to importing such data.

We're not supporting our own server, so I suppose that means we're going to be on the cloud.  I suppose I had seen that there were two forms of the document - and while a simple example is highly valuable - I would have expected something more like a grammar to help me generate acceptable JSON.

We're trying to migrate from GNATS.  The data extracted from there has a modest hierarchy - where issues are allowed to have an arbitrary length list of audit trail events.  Events being "State Changed", "Responsible Changed", "Comment Added", "FixForReleaseChanged", "Originator Changed", and some a couple types that relate change in custom issue fields.

I didn't think CSV would be as convenient a way to input hierarchical data - if it's even possible.

I have a python script that successfully loads the GNATS data base, as well as representing the attached list of audit trail items.  I was looking for something to help me emit all that in an acceptable JSON form.

I have not found much in the way of other requests to migrate from GNATS to Jira.  However from the way you have described this hierarchical nature, it sounds much like the way Jira would represent an issue's history.

If you then look at a particular issue in Jira, under the History tab you can see the changes that happened to the issue over time, who made changes, and to which fields, like so:

history1.png

This is something that you can define in JSON that Jira could handle.  The guide does cite at least one example of this in

"history" : [
                        {
                            "author" : "alice",
                            "created": "2012-08-31T15:59:02.161+0100",
                            "items": [
                                {
                                    "fieldType" : "jira",
                                    "field" : "status",
                                    "from" : "1",
                                    "fromString" : "Open",
                                    "to" : "5",
                                    "toString" : "Resolved"
                                }
                            ]
                        }
                    ],

In this example, it's a single historical change made by user Alice, at that specific time where the status is being changed from open to resolved.

But I would agree that using the CSV importer in Jira does not really appear to offer the same level of data that could be imported as JSON.   I don't believe that the CSV import in Jira is really intended to import such historical changes on an issue.

Does this help?  Forgive me if I have misunderstood the hierarchy you are referring to in GNATs is not historical information.  I admit that I have not used this particular system before.

Your understanding of my thinking and why I'm interested in JSON is essentially correct.  But please do not focus on the fact that I'm coming from GNATS.   As I noted previously - I've solved the problem of extracting GNATS data.  I can turn what I have into a structured file of almost any sort rather easily.

I need specific information on the JSON format for import to JIRA.

Interestingly, my question appears to have been asked in May of 2013 - "JSON Format for JIRA Import".   The Atlassian team member responding at that time explained that only an example was offered because things were incomplete/preliminary/etc.  I'll quote the frustrated user from May of '13:

I can't emphasize enough that the documentation -- including the data schema -- needs to be better.

Indeed.

Are you really expecting customers to successfully build JSON import data for JIRA - on the basis of the cloud/server documentation pages noted above?

The short answer is, Yes.   I expect it is possible to build this import format with the examples in those documents.

The much longer answer is, I don't expect this to be quick and easy to achieve as other import methods that use predefined templates to migrate issue data from other trackers.  I would not be surprised to find this would take a lot of time to build the import format correctly.   However if you find there are problems with formatting this, that is what support is here for, either here on Community, or via our support.atlassian.com portal page. 

This doesn't need to be hard.   But it probably will be - precisely because Atlassian has not provided the detailed reference that someone creating this content needs.

Mind you - I'm not talking about a reference for specifics of "general" JSON (what a string looks like, a number, a list, a dictionary, etc.).  I'm writing python code and I'm emitting JSON using Python's "json" extension module.  So the "well formed JSON" part is easy.

The problem is that Atlassian hasn't provided specific semantics on THEIR side of what field names in what structures.   What values they're allowed/required to have exactly.   What values they'll get if not specified - or if incorrectly specified.   Etc., etc.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,757 views 18 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you