Import from QC - ASCII convertion

Elin Vaage February 3, 2013

Hi!

I am planning to use the csv importer to convert from HP QC to JIRA and have started to test convert. But there are issues with the Norwegian letters, how do I spesify the correct setup?

The Norwegian letters are OK when I create new issues, only a problem when I import.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Elin Vaage

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Juan Felipe Cardona
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

Hello Elin

We did a migration form QC and used the External System Import option (administration options).

We had to use file encondig ISO-8859-1 for the special characters to be imported correctly into JIRA (in our case they were only Spanish characters like áéíóúñ).

You have to click on the Advance option to see the File encoding field.

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2013

You could use this the JaM plugin which linked HPQC to Jira. It will preserve much more of the history of the defect and match it to the Jira data model.

http://www.go2group.com/en/products/go2group-jam-plugin/

With your CSV data, is the data in the CSV formatted in UTF-8 correctly? If you open the CSV in a text editor, does it look ok? Does it import into Excel correctly?

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

Also, does the data look correct when you do the "Setup Field Mappings' as part of the import process? What is generating your CSV file?

Elin Vaage February 3, 2013

Answers:

It looks OK when i open it in a text editor or in excel.

It does not look OK in the setup field mapping in the import process.

I create the file in excel and capsulate the text fields with "".

I will also check out the plugin. That might be better, even if its a one time convertion.

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

Since Jira importer should support UTF-8, I'm wondering if the problem is in the exact encoding of the CSV file that Excel produces (even if it appears to look ok to your text editor)

A qucik search shows some possible workarounds:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/survey-software-support/tutorials/getting-started/how-to-encode-an-excel-file-to-utf-8-or-utf-16/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4221176/excel-to-csv-with-utf8-encoding

They centre around either uploading the XLS file to Google docs and exporting it out as a CSV, or changing the export options. You can also use iconv / libiconv to convert the CSV file.

Suggest an answer