Import a attribute Jira User into a Insight ObjectType

Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2020

Hi,
I have an Object Type with the Jira User attribute. Now I want to do a csv import, but both the name and email address in the Jira User column get the error "Validation failed for attribute: jira user. Reason: Invalid value provided." What value should I use in the csv to import Jira User?

Regards, Groeten, Marco

4 answers

1 vote
Dan Olson November 4, 2021

Not having much luck with this either.  I've tried importing users as first last, email address, as well as Jira's internal user ID.

The object attribute I have set is a user object.  If I set the attribute to be a default text field, it imports fine.  But it is obviously just a text field then and can't be used for anything (like being pulled into an Approver field!!)

Worst case, I'll spend an hour going through and manually adding a bunch of users.  uggh, that's no fun.

Jenny Severin December 1, 2022

no fun at all 

1 vote
Jesse Kyle March 12, 2021

I found that if you export the assets from the schema and choose the data consistent format, you will see how Insight looks at that field. For instance, I have an attribute set up as "User" and tied to all users in my instance, however, I can't use their proper name (First Last) or their email address. It appears that I would have to know their internal user ID to do an import, and I'm hoping someone else has solved for this so that I don't have to do this... 

Arto Kovalainen July 25, 2021

I learned the same today. Lack of functionality. However you can import all Jira users to CSV from Jira's user management and that file has internal user IDs. After that you need to play with the excell and map the Ids to the users.

Dan Olson November 4, 2021

I was able to get this to work.

As @Arto Kovalainen mentioned above, I had to export all Jira users to a csv, which contained the jira internal user IDs.  Then I had to use XLOOKUP in Excel to line up the user IDs with the email addressed that I already had in my csv.

Once I had the IDs, I was able to go through the import successfully.

0 votes
Vilius Zigmantas January 4, 2022

Only thing that worked for me in a similar case is to use user's unique identifier in the import source file column (e.g. 54cd23de234ed23).

You can get unique identifier by searching for the user in People > Search > click on the found user - unique ID will be in the URL.

0 votes
benreay December 15, 2020

Hi Marco,

Did you manage to find out how to import Assets via csv with Jira Users assigned?

I haven't been able to find any information on how to do this.

Matt Lane December 28, 2020

I'm also trying to find information on this process, and what format I need to enter the jira user names into the csv, to avoid validation error when importing the csv.

Suggest an answer