Import/Export of projects from other OnDemand instances

Hitesh Shah January 22, 2013

Hi

What's the best approach to migrate projects on other JIRA/GreenHopper instances to this instance?

I tried (1) Jira Import but there is a message This operation will delete all existing JIRA data (including attachments, avatars and logos, if selected) in your JIRA instance. Also (2)Export and import to csv not good, as we want to retain Sprints information.

Please provide the effective solution.

Thanks.

Hitesh

3 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Hitesh Shah January 28, 2013

Thanks Rahul. Migrating projects from OnDemand instance to another OnDemand instance is a major work.

Atlassian is walking me thourgh the steps. Following is the procedure provided to me by Atlassian (https://support.atlassian.com/browse/JST-54898) I am on step #5 that's the procedure you recommended. I will post outcome once import is completed.

===================================================

As it turns out, it's not possible to perform project imports on the OnDemand environment (neither export a single project to XML). Since this is not a trivial task I'll try my best to outline the steps you'll need to take to get this done.

Unless export/import issues via CSV for you isn't a problem. But keep in mind that just the issues will be transferred from one instance to another. Meaning that you'll have to manually create and configure the project in the new instance (Furthermore, the issues don't go with their 'history' when transferred via CSV).

So, to get the full project imported in your OnDemand instance (pearsontech.atlassian.net) you'll have to do the following:

1. Download and install the lastest version of JIRA Standalone locally
  2. Perform a full backup of pearsontech.atlassian.net here
  3. Restore the backup from Step 2 in your local JIRA (Step 1)
  4. Perform a full backup of pearson-ccss.atlassian.net here
  5. Make the project import (using the backup from the last step) in your local JIRA (Step 1)
  6. After that, just check if the import was successful. If so, take a full backup of your local JIRA (containing the new project) and perform a full restore in your OnDemand instance - pearsontech.atlassian.net

As I said before, this is not a trivial task and unfortunately I can't do this for you. So please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further doubts.

2 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

Use the project import functionality. This will not erase existing data on destination jira instance. You will however need to make sure that the source and destination jira are on the exactly the same version else the import will fail.

Moreover, you would also need to re-create the project configurations on your destination jira instance prior to the project import.

here's the link. It is exhaustive.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

Rahul

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2013

This is not applicable to OnDemand instances

0 votes
Hitesh Shah February 6, 2013

Migration works fine after following above process. Couple of issues observed after migration:

1. Manualy delete duplicate names from improted project

2. Outgoing mail was disabled after migration. Atlassian Support was quick to enable that.

Suggest an answer