Import Error: No 'key' field for Issue #####

I was originally attempting to do a system restore but after two failed attempts (no longer being able to access Jira), I restored to doing a project import as a test.

I each time I do a project import, I get the following errors:

There was a problem parsing the backup XML file at /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/import/Cloud2.zip: No 'key' field for Issue 26021.

There was a problem parsing the backup XML file at /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/import/Cloud2.zip: No 'key' field for Issue 35418.

What do I need to do to resolve these errors?

2 answers

The problem is that you cannot pull a backup straight out of the cloud and import projects into a server version. If you are performing a cloud to server merge/migration or cloud to cloud merge/migration these are steps are required.

Here are the steps to avoid this issue for both operations:

1. Pull back from source cloud
  2. Run atlassian-xml-cleaner.jar 
    1. Do this every time, regardless if you feel your not going to get an error, it will save you time in the long run.
  3. Stand up a cloud-source-stage "on-prem" server
  4. Restore cleaned backup and attachments
  5. Backup restored cloud-source-stage
  6. Transfer backup and attachments to target-stage
  7. Import projects and attachments to target-stage
    1. Restore to prod-target cloud if going in to Cloud
    2. Restore to Prod Target if going to server.

Hope this helps,

Dan Buffham, ACP

0 vote

I'm afraid this is a bit of a "circular answer".  Your backup is missing data for the field "key", so the project import cannot import it.  The reason it is missing is that you've manged to create an export with missing key data.  So what you need is a valid backup with that data.

hi Nic, Unfortunately i am having the same issue. I back uped the JIRA cloud instance by login in System Admin

System-->BAckup Manager--> Create backup for Server (Since i am try to restore this in Server Instance.

Not sure what i am missing.

Regards,

Abhishek

Have you solved thisi issue?

I'm having the same issue too when trying to restore into server instance (backup is from cloud)

I had to change the permission levels for the "jira" folder on the server to allow access to the account I was using.

I don't know if this is how all systems are set up, but this is what I did. My DevOps guy gave me the ip address & login credentials needed to access the server.

1. Using Putty, I changed the Jira folder permissions to allow my account (provided by DevOps) full access.

2. Using WinSCP, uploaded the zip files to the import folder & attachments folder.

3. Changed the Jira folder permissions back to its original settings.

4. Ran the Project Import

I can't remember if that solved this particular problem but I do remember it being a necessary step.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 14, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

How the Telegram Integration for Jira helps Sergey's team take their support efficiency to the bank

...+ reading Fantasy). The same is true for him at the bank he works for: Efficiency is key when time literally equals money. Read on to learn how Sergey makes most of the time he has by...

503 views 3 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you