Import EPICs - Cannot set value for locked custom field 'Epic Name'

Trevor Pate November 28, 2018

Using Jira Cloud and I have tried to recreate and import the simple Car epic as outlined in: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-import-stories-linked-to-epics-in-jira/qaq-p/373117

I get the error:

Cannot set value for locked custom field 'Epic Name' in issue 'Build a car' because it is not applicable for issue type 'Epic'

Input csv:

Issue Type,Epic Name,Summary,Epic Link
Epic,my-epic,Build a car,
Story,,Build an engine,my-epic
Story,,Buy tyres,my-epic 

2 answers

1 vote
Bill Latham February 24, 2019

I experienced this problem as well, but think I found a way to trick it to work.

When you're mapping the fields, make extra sure you map the Issue Type field.  When you get to the screen where you map items to items, check the Issue Type dropdown -- when I was experiencing this problem, the Epic issue type appeared twice!  I double-checked in my instance and there was only one Epic issue type.  Through a little trial and error, I picked the right Epic and my Epics successfully uploaded.

This sounds like a potential browser cache-related issue (but not going to try it again) -- I suggest you try that if you see two Epics (clear your browser cache) and then go through the import wizard again.

Negin Nafari February 17, 2021

Your comment helped me!

Thanks

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2018

Hello Trevor,

That's strange. The import seems to be properly working for me.

Just to ensure we are not facing any incompatibility with special characters here, can you try to import the Epic Name without the hyphen (-)? Try the following format:

Issue Type,Epic Name,Summary,Epic Link
Epic,myepic,Build a car,

We will be waiting to know your results.

Nikki Kiga January 7, 2019

@Petter Gonçalves I have been getting the same error as well!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2019

Hello Nikki,

Have you tried to import the exact CSV I described in my answer? Or you are trying to import a different CSV?

If you are using a different CSV, can you please provide us with this?

Additionally, are you trying to import that Epic to a Next-Gen Project or to a Classic project?

Going to put something together - see below! Thanks!

Hey Petterson,

Yep, I was able to replicate the same error above with your proxy data, which is the same error that I am getting with my own data.

On Jira Cloud with a Classic Jira Project (don't use next-gen atm because of partial functionality but that's another topic)

Using your data even without the dash, and mapped as the following:

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 1.18.43 PM.png

I then get the following errors that result in not having the Epic Name populated (instead end of with something like "unlabbeled-KEY-123") and then not having the Stories and Tasks not fall into (not have links to the Epic)

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 1.29.09 PM.png

Do you know if this would have something do to with the Epic Name (Custom Field) being locked? I saw this article for Jira Server but have not been able to find one for Jira Cloud.

Thanks,

Nikki

Nikki Kiga January 8, 2019

@Petter Gonçalves did you get a chance to see if you can replicate as well?

Karan Vaish June 15, 2021

@Petter Gonçalves Hey Peter, wonder if you were able to advise on fixing this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem!

Arun Gupta September 23, 2021

@Petter Gonçalves - I am also experience the same problem with Team Managed Software JIRA Project.

I tried everything in the Epic Link and Epic Name to link the story to an existing Epic but it does NOT link unfortunately. Any solution to this problem ?

jdreizler September 28, 2021

I am in the same situation i do not want to create the epic in my import i just want to import stories and add link them automatically to an existing epic.  Is this not possible?

Karan Vaish September 29, 2021

I realize that you can't do any of these things (being discussed above) in a 'Team Managed Project". 

Switch over to a "Company Managed Project" and everything works like a charm. :) 

Happy Jira-ing! 

Like # people like this
Pedro Carranza November 17, 2021

Thats works!!

Suggest an answer