If Task is customized to have Story Points, will it reflect in velocity report?

Sandhya Paranjpe December 18, 2019

Stories are estimated using story points whereas Tasks (and not sub-task) are estimated using time unit.

Velocity chart only shows story points. If I want entire effort to be reflected in velocity report, then Story and Task both should be estimated in the same unit i.e. story point.

My question is how can I achieve that?

Can I add a custom field for story point for Task?

If I can, then will its points be considered in velocity report?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marcela Junyent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2019

Hi. Yes , you  can add the story point fields to task and they will be consider into the velocity chart.

You need to change the context for the story field custom field (by default it's restricted to stories).

Regards, Marce

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2019

Hello @Sandhya Paranjpe 

What estimation unit that is used is determined by the board. This means that different boards can have different estimation units. The field "Estimation" is thereby flexible and makes it possible to have different estimates on the same issue. In other words, the same issue can be estimated with different estimation units on the Estimation field, if it is done so from different boards. 

It is also the board that determine what is shown on the reports (Velocity chart included). Here is where it might get tricky to report if not all issues are estimated in the same way. 

You should be able to make story point estimation on the Tasks without removing its time estimates, but only if you view the Tasks from a board that uses the Story point estimation metric. 

Hope this helps,

Good luck with your Jira endeavors! 

Suggest an answer