If I add an epic link to a task, will it always show tasks under "other issues in epic"?

syee March 23, 2023

I would like to be able of only have stories under other issues in epic, even if I add the epic link to a task.

Is this possible?

-Sing

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

Hello @syee 

Where do you see the view where it says "other issues in epic"? Can you provide a screen image?

When I look at the details of an Epic I see a section labeled "Child Issues" but no section labeled "other issues in Epic".

syee March 23, 2023

Thanks Trudy, sure.

Please see the images attached.Capture 2.JPGCapture 1.JPG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

I see. The "other issues in epic" section is not showing in the Epic itself. Rather it is showing in the child issue of the Epic, and shows the other child issues in the same Epic.

That is not native Jira functionality. I am guessing that it has been added to your system by the addition of a third party app. I'm not familiar with that feature so I don't know from which third party app it comes. Can you identify the app that added the functionality?

I suspect that they designed their app to rely on the Epic Link information and can't selectively display sibling issues based on Issue Type. But really you would need to ask the app vendor that question.

syee March 24, 2023

Thanks Trudy, I'll be checking.

syee March 27, 2023

Trudy, I have another question..

Do you know if I can restrict the epic link and epic name to be linked just to epics, no tasks?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2023

The native functionality of the Epic Link field will not allow you to enter an issue key for any type of issue except Epic. If you enter the issue key for some other issue type into the Epic Link field you can't save the value.

Epic Name is a field that is used only in Epic type issues. It is not used in child issues at all.

Like syee likes this
syee March 28, 2023

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders