Ideas on setting assignee based upon Issue type AND Component

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2017

Today I have a project that I have setup with unique issue types and unique workflows per issue type. Part of the solution includes post functions in the Create transition to designate the assignee, again based upon Issue Type.

Now I am adding another business unit to the project that requires different assignees. Looking for ideas on how to accomplish.

so in the conceptual view below - If IssueType1 is opened for BU1 then Assignee = assignee1 if the Component = BU2 then Assignee = assignee6

question.png

2 answers

0 votes
Justin Evans
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2017

There are a couple ways to tackle this. Is it required that both BUs co-exist in a single project? You could create a project for each BU and then this issue type / multiple component dependency would go away.

As another option, you could create components specific to a BU (append existing component with new BU name). For example: Component1-BU1 = assignee1, Component1-BU2 = assignee6.

A third option would be to automate this with something like Power Scripts for Jira. In which case you could set a script like this on the issue create transition post-function:

if(issueType=="issueType1" && component=="BU2") {
assignee="assignee6";
}
else if(issueType=="issueType2" && component=="BU1") {
assignee="assignee2";
}
0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2017

Have you tried setting up components in JIRA named BU1, BU2 etc and then adding those assignees as the component leads? If you do that, you can modify the workflow post function to assign the issue to the component lead.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2017

@Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist], thanks for the response. However, if I only have two BUs (Components) but 10 different assignees that would not work? Stating the issue another way:

IssueType1 + BU1 --> Assignee = Fred

IssueType1 + BU2 --> Assignee = Sally

IssueType2 + BU1 --> Assignee = Betty

IssueType2 + BU2 --> Assignee = Salaji

etc...

I'm currently looking at different options to my assignee dilemma to see if I can simplify it.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2017

Right. You can do with the automation plugin I guess. Assign the issue if it matches a JQL (based on your issuetype and BU).

Another option would be to have different workflows for each issuetype and then have different branches in the workflow based on BU. Each branch will then assign issues to a different user.

Suggest an answer