I would like to link dependent issues in my project with a couple of other projects.

Jerry Raterman January 3, 2019

We need to get better visibility of dependencies between projects.  I can see in the Edit Issue panel in JIRA a Linked Issues drop down box with over 20 options!  I can see a drop down box which displays all th e issues in my current project.

1. How do you determine which of the 20+ Linked Issues options is most suitable, and/or what benefit of selecting one over the other provides?

2. Can I link issues outside of my project?

Thanks for your help!

Jerry

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2019

@Jerry Raterman, welcome to the Community. Certainly you can link issues between projects. When viewing the issue click on the 'more' button, in Cloud this is the ellipses in the upper right corner, and select Link. Enter/search for the other issue and choose the relationship of the link. Let me know if you seek more info.

Thanks for the prompt response Jack.  I can see now how I can link to external project issues.  How to I choose the best link type to define the link relationship?  Does JIRA functionality change based on the type of link defined?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2019

Unfortunately the link relationships don't mean anything interesting TBH. So to some extent it doesn't matter. In other words just because you select "blocked by" it doesn't mean anything like I can't update the blocked issue until the blocking issue is done. It has always struck me to be an incomplete feature but not a big deal. I do use the relationships, I just have to manually consume.

Like Jorge_Rui likes this

Sort of suspected that this was the case.  Thanks for confirming.  All the best!

Suggest an answer