I would like to know if it's possible to check for duplicate "Summary" field value when a new issue is created?

Chaya Reddy nagella March 6, 2013

We have HelpDesk sending ticket to mail handler. Some times, HD sends same ticket 3,4 times. Which are created as duplicate tickets in JIRA.

I would like to compare new "summary"(JIRA issue field) field(HelpDesk ticket#) with existing fields in workflow function.

If it's same, I would like to delete the issue as it's created. So, only first time it creates issues not after that.

Thanks for you help..

8 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2013

No, there doesn't exist a JQL which will help you. But there exists a plugin (SuggestiMate for JIRA) on the market place which helps you to find duplicates: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.suggestimate

Please check also this interesting articles:

http://blogs.onresolve.com/2010/03/audo-duplicate-search-in-jira/

I hope this will help you!

Chaya Reddy nagella March 7, 2013

Thank you again for this. I saw both these plugins. But these good when a new issues is created manually..

But we have Mail handler to create issues. So, I was thinking is there any way to check in the workflow function ?

Thank you for your information..

4 votes
Simon Wong March 10, 2021

It wasn't available when the OP asked the question, but you can now use the new Lookup Issues action under Automation https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automation-actions/#Automationactions-Lookupissues. You can run a JQL to identify if there are already existing records with the same Summary field as the new issue. If so, cancel (or deleted if you'd like) the new issue automatically. 

See the example below.

Project_automation_-_JIRA.png

SHADOW March 16, 2021

In which version was this "new action" added? I have a full paid version of Automation 7.2.3 and I do not have a "Lookup" action.

SHADOW March 16, 2021

OK, this "Lookup" action is only available for the cloud version, and it looks like we can wait another 10 years, adding for the server version :(

Simon Wong March 16, 2021

@SHADOW Yea, we're on Cloud. Sorry to hear that the feature isn't on Server. 😓

SHADOW March 26, 2021

I was able to automate the process of closing duplicates for the "jira server" version, below is the description of the automation rule:
- when the issue is created
- jql condition (any of your checks to limit the rule)
- Branch rule / related issues:
choose "jql",
in a jql request, you specify the rule by which the search will be
duplicates, for example "summary ~ {{issue.summary}} ..... AND resolution is EMPTY"
IMPORTANT the rule must contain "AND resolution is EMPTY", the search must be carried out among unresolved issues.
- The next item inside the "Branch rule" is to add "Link issue"
"This issue -> duplicates"
"Issue -> Triger issue"
- The next item inside the "Branch rule" I added "Add comment" - Enter the text that will be added to the already found open request, for example, the request number and a link to the found duplicate.
IMPORTANT by a duplicate I mean a new, just opened application.

As part of this rule, two or more issues will receive links that refer to each other.
The old issue will have a link to the new issue "duplicates" and the new issue will have a link "is duplicated by"

Unfortunately, further logical actions, as it turned out in practice, are not performed if they are specified in this rule.

You need to create a second rule that will close the issue containing the link "is duplicated by"
In rule "2" you need to add
- if block
"Related issues -> Linked issues"
"Link types -> is duplicated by"
- The next item inside the "if block" I added "Add comment" - Enter the text that will be added to this duplicate issues, for example "This issue is closed because it is a duplicate :)"
- The next item inside the "if block" needs to add all the necessary items for the correct closure of this issue, for example, all consecutive transitions to the "resolved" status, do not forget to set up the filling of the "resolution" field at this stage

And it's all.
All new requests satisfying the rule will be linked with the "is duplicated by" link, and rule "2" will correctly close these issues.

1 vote
Jose Ramirez December 5, 2018

My Solution, because I have this problem as I'm typing this answer, is to create the JQL filter for the timeframe and project, in which duplicates were created. I then sort by 'Summary' and look at the matching summaries. I then purge the duplicates.

Tony Nerd May 6, 2019

Is it automatic ?

Avidan Izaks January 20, 2020

What JQL are you using?

0 votes
Jon Starbird
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2014

We ended up getting the Suggestimate plugin which works really well. The nice thing about the plugin is that while you're creating it, before you submit, it shows you possible dupe summaries.

The field they use can be added to other screens as well so even on old issues when you're grooming your backlog you can see possible dupes.

You could do all of that in code but then you have to maintain that code yourself so every upgrade will mean you having to work on it, this is why we bought the plugin.

Jon

Jon Starbird
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2014

Sorry I should have read the rest of the old post. For the Third Party incoming programmatic issues we did not get a solution. For now our Support folks just bring up Jira and do searches before they submit the new issues through their program.

0 votes
hrzadnn October 16, 2014

Hi @Chaya Reddy nagella and @J Starbird did you guys resolve this thing? Can you tell me how to solve this, maybe without those Suggestimate plugin.. is it possible? Please let me know.. I appreciate your answer.. Thank you!! Cheers!

0 votes
Dinesh Dhinakaran
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2013

any updates on this

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2013

Hi, you could use Script Runner to create a custom validator for the Create action to achieve this. In the code, check using JQL if the same summary exists and reject as required.

Jon Starbird
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2013

Good idea. I have the pluign already, don't know why I didn't think of that!

0 votes
Jon Starbird
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2013

Chaya,

did you ever resolve this? We have a similar need for issues coming in from a third party system.

thanks,

Jon

Suggest an answer