I would like to delete a user whose issues are all closed

I have a user who left the company. I changed the reporter on his issues and closed all the issues he reported. I am still unable to delete this user because he reported issues. Is there a way to delete this user without reopening all the issues and reassigning the "reported by"? Please help.

Thanks

6 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Really the best choice you have is to remove the user from any group or permission that he has since you are using OD version. If I remember correctly the user without the jira-user group changes to inactive and it can't be used.

If a user doesn't belong to any group or permission it doesn't count on your license.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! This was exactly the solution I needed. I appreciate eveyone taking the time to answer

you can write a simple database query to replace him as a reporter. Look at https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Database+Schema for the database schema. If it is mysql, and username is a which you want to replace with b, its a simple query

update jiraissue set  REPORTER='b' where  REPORTER='a';

This is as simple using the UI, just do a JQL query for all isssues for that reporter, and make a bulk change. It won't reopen all the issues, and you have the option to not notify anyoen.However, your workflow must allow editing of closed issues, see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Allow+editing+of+Closed+Issues

I am afraid, you won't be able to modify the database as you are using JIRA OnDemand. Have a look at the below links -

Restricted Functions on JIRA OnDemand

Atlassian OnDemand's Application Access

Hope this helps!

And how would you do this same action in a hosted platform profile such as mine?

thanks!

I dont' know what permissions are granted on on-demand instances, but certainly you will be able to use JQL option (the no 2), thats a standard JIRA feature.

Hi,

Hope you are doing Great.

I want to remove a User who is not with our Company any more. In this case there is no Issue Reported by the User & All the Issues that were assigned to Him are Fixed Closed.

I am unable to Delete.

The advice still stands. You need to change all the assignees to someone who is going to remain in the system.

The status of the issues is utterly irrelevant - Jira needs a valid user account in reporter and assignee.

Generally though, the advice is not to delete Jira users at all. Remove them from all roles and groups, but don't delete them (it's a good idea to rename them - add "left" or "inactive" or something to their name). That way, you don't have to reassign closed issues or edit reporters, and you retain a history of their activity.

I think then the only option you have is to create a user like "deleted-user" or something like that, and assign all the issues of all the users you want to delete, and then assign those issues to this user, and then you can delete rest of the users. But I am not sure why you would want that.

If it is because of licensing factor, then as Nic suggested, just remove the user from all groups and then user should not be counted towards your license. You can just leave the user inactive.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

290 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you