I would like to change the name of the field COMPONENT into CATEGORY

Hello, i am new user of JIRA and my main goal is to migrate DATA from MANTIS TO JIRA.

Migration worked properly.

But now i would like to change the name of the Field COMPONENT into CATEGORY so that my user of mantis can easly be friendly with JIRA windows.

Can you please tell me if there is anyway to change THAT. We are going to buy a licence of JIRA soon, and i would like to know if access to source code of jira will be given to us.??

Best regards.

2 answers

1 accepted

Hi Yves,

Apparently there's no straightforward solution to change an existing JIRA system field name, and this includes the Component field name as well. But if you would like to modify the text, then I believe that you may modify JIRA i18n file, which actually defines most of the texts (name, messages, etc) in JIRA.

To learn more on achieving this, you may kindly go through the following documentation:
https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Customizing+Text

I hope that this will help.

oK thank you. i'll try so. But in fact another solution was to change the field name in a language package and upload that package in manage add-on and it works.

Thanks for the update here Yves, great to know that the solution for the problem had been found.

Have a pleasant day.

Hi Ahmad

I am using ver 6.0.2, i dont see those files in lib or classes folder, is this changed in later versions?, can u let us know how to change component name to other name?

Hi Yves

How did you change the component/s name to category? is there a add-on for this? can you give me more details on this ?

Thanks

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,322 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot