I would like to change the name of the field COMPONENT into CATEGORY

yves khoury February 27, 2013

Hello, i am new user of JIRA and my main goal is to migrate DATA from MANTIS TO JIRA.

Migration worked properly.

But now i would like to change the name of the Field COMPONENT into CATEGORY so that my user of mantis can easly be friendly with JIRA windows.

Can you please tell me if there is anyway to change THAT. We are going to buy a licence of JIRA soon, and i would like to know if access to source code of jira will be given to us.??

Best regards.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2013

Hi Yves,

Apparently there's no straightforward solution to change an existing JIRA system field name, and this includes the Component field name as well. But if you would like to modify the text, then I believe that you may modify JIRA i18n file, which actually defines most of the texts (name, messages, etc) in JIRA.

To learn more on achieving this, you may kindly go through the following documentation:
https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Customizing+Text

I hope that this will help.

yves khoury March 5, 2013

oK thank you. i'll try so. But in fact another solution was to change the field name in a language package and upload that package in manage add-on and it works.

Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2013

Thanks for the update here Yves, great to know that the solution for the problem had been found.

Have a pleasant day.

Raju Adluru
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2013

Hi Ahmad

I am using ver 6.0.2, i dont see those files in lib or classes folder, is this changed in later versions?, can u let us know how to change component name to other name?

0 votes
Michelle Onizuka July 3, 2018

Does anyone have an answer to this for the newest version of Jira cloud?

staceyking March 31, 2020

I am looking for the same information..... It seems the translator plugin only works for on-prem, and I have yet to find a solution to alter or translate any of the system field names.

0 votes
Raju Adluru
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2013

Hi Yves

How did you change the component/s name to category? is there a add-on for this? can you give me more details on this ?

Thanks

Suggest an answer