• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • I would like to add a field, story points, to the view screen of an issue on my SCRUM board. It is in the default screen scheme. I can see it in the edit screen but not the view screen in the right panel. What am I missing?

I would like to add a field, story points, to the view screen of an issue on my SCRUM board. It is in the default screen scheme. I can see it in the edit screen but not the view screen in the right panel. What am I missing?

Dale Stanka July 6, 2016

I would like to add a field, story points, to the view screen of an issue on my SCRUM board. It is in the default screen scheme. I can see it in the edit screen but not the view screen in the right panel. What am I missing?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user July 6, 2016

If I understand this correctly, you will need to go to you "Configure Board" option. At the bottom of the left hand list go to "Issue Detail View". This is where you can manage what is seen on the View screen of the board.

Cheers!

0 votes
Deleted user June 6, 2018

No Problem Avida. I assume you have the correct admin rights to do this, otherwise get your admin to help.

1. Go to the board you want to modify.
  2. In the upper right there is a drop-down button labeled 'Board", click it and select 'configure'
  3. At the bottom of the configure screen, on the left hand list click on "Issue Detail View".
  4. Use the "General fields" to add a field named Story Points.

On a scrum board it will be relabeled as "Estimate" (no, I din't know why)

On a kanban board it will keep the Story Points label.

For more help see this;

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configuring-the-issue-detail-view-764478043.html

Also note from Atlassian;

"We're gradually rolling out a  new issue view, which you may see on your boards and in your backlog. If you're using the new issue view, you currently can't configure issue fields. We hope to add this functionality back in the near future, but if it doesn't fit how you work right now you can turn it off under Labs in your profile."

0 votes
Avida Hancock June 6, 2018

@[deleted] - I have the same question but I can't follow your instructions - the setting descriptors may have changed. 

The story points field only appears if it has a value. Is there any way to make it editable from this view?

Deleted user June 6, 2018

Wow, it's been awhile... but I think I fixed that by giving it a default value of 0.

Avida Hancock June 6, 2018

Oh yeah, of course! That's really clever :) Thank you. 

rsbeckerca April 20, 2021

Not sure how you all have done this. Story Points appears in the board configuration as being there but does not show up. I cannot set the value to 0 anywhere - it's not there on issue creation either.

0 votes
Dale Stanka July 6, 2016

Thanks Tom. What I now realize is that the value I enter for Story Points is labeled 'Estimate' on the screen and not 'Story Points'. So if you are using Story Points or Hours as your estimation, the value will show up here. Yes??

Deleted user July 6, 2016

Is that a custom field you created?

Suggest an answer