I want to sync specific issues and subtasks between Jira and Trello

Shawn Taylor September 9, 2019

I know there are a few options from the Atlassian Marketplace and some within Trello, but it seems as though none of them work the way I want. Here is what I want it to do:

Must have:

• only syncs issues that meet certain criteria (i.e. have been assigned to me - but alternatively, I am willing to specifically select the issues)
  • syncs due date, description and comments both directions
  • shows Jira specific items in Trello (priority, status, reporter)
  • some kind of subtask handling (I feel like this one is trickiest)

There is a long list of nice-to-haves, but above are the critical items.

The Trello powerup does a nice job of showing some of the relevant info, but it's way too limited (it does not even show due-date, nevermind sync it). The fact that it does not sync due-date and description are surprising - seems they should be a must-do when creating the power-up

2019-09-09_1045.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2019

Hi Shawn!

I want to preface this by apologizing - I have no experience with Jira and will be doing my best with that perspective, ha!

It's definitely frustrating the power-up cannot sync these items - I would suggest you submit your idea to feature-ideas@trello.com. Since Jira and Trello are both Atlassian products, I think you're safe to submit your feedback there - it goes right to Trello devs!

That being said, you might be able to achieve what you want with Zapier. You will need 4 zaps, I think:

1. To sync new Jira items to Trello
  2. To sync new Trello items to Jira
  3. To update Trello items when changes happen in Jira
  4. To update Jira items when changes happen in Trello

Since I don't use Jira, I can't really test this - but both Jira and Trello support running zaps on both new items and when items are updated, which might be what you're looking for!

Pasted Graphic 3.pngPasted Graphic 4.pngI wish I could test further, but my lack of Jira knowledge gets in the way, unfortunately :(

Best of luck, and hope this helps!

Shawn Taylor September 20, 2019

Zapier totally works! Well, for one-way sync anyway i.e. Jira -> Trello.

Shawn Taylor September 20, 2019

NOTE: required some pretty extensive playing around and learning the Jira data structures (and how to use JQL to get at it) but once I had that it totally works well.

Suggest an answer