I want to enter my daily project activities for tracking in JIRA like arranging a meeting.

Badola_ Aprajita June 1, 2021

I want to enter my daily project activities for tracking in JIRA like arranging a meeting.

These are not issues or story. Purpose of entering in JIRA is just that everyone knows what I am doing and we can track the work.

How do I do that?/

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2021

A lot of people do that.  Most of us create new issue types so we can easily filter them out of reporting, and have people know that they're not "real work".  

You should have a think about exactly how you want to use/report on them alongside your real work, but "non development issues" is a commonly used and working approach for many.  

I've worked with a lot of schemes for it.  Some of us have a "bucket" issue - a single issue in a project called "meetings" and we just use it for logging time.  Other places deliberately create meeting issues and even estimate against them (sometimes it's nice to know when you've got a trend for booking over-long meetings, or underestimating them, or even just reporting on "we've got too many" - heck, last month's Community theme was "meet less May" - trying to help people get rid of as many time-sinks as possible)

Badola_ Aprajita June 2, 2021

Thanks a ton,,,

Actually, we have already discussed internally about new issue type. But due to some reasons , we are not allowed to create one.

Let me know if there is some other approach also.  Its very weird to log a task like arranging a meeting as an  issue .. 

But thanks a lot for your response... 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2021

Issues are at the heart of Jira - it is an issue tracker.  It looks like there's a whole load of other stuff around that, but when you boil it down, it works with issues.  That's it.

If you want to represent something in Jira, you have to think about how to do it with an issue (or write apps that can provide something else).

I don't think it's a problem to arrange a meeting as an issue - it's a block of work that needs doing, it has a length of time and a workflow (booked, in-progress, ended, if nothing else).  If you need to be tracking that sort of thing, then it's actually a natural mapping on to an issue (and I'd use a different issue type to make reporting on it easier and allow for the different workflow)

Even Tempo, the most-used time-tracker for Jira, has a "non work items", represented as issues, albeit ones that look like they're not in the project.

Like Badola_ Aprajita likes this

Suggest an answer