I want to be able to link sub-tasks to an epic.

Epic link to Subtasks.jpgThis question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Managing your projects

Jira's current settings doesn't allow sub-tasks to be linked to an epic. This causes my numbers in the dashboard (Workload pie chart) to be incorrect when summing up hours by epic. Very inconvenient!

Is there a way to change the settings or even develop a script/ plugin to be able to select a epic link to sub-tasks?

I need this ASAP, the success of my project management depends on it.

Thank you,

Ana Teixeira

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

There's two parts to this

1.  It's absolutely correct that a sub-task should not be assigned to an Epic.  A sub-task belongs to a parent, and hence belong to an Epic via that
  2. It's absolutely a howling bug or flaw in JIRA that sub-tasks do not behave as though they belong to the same Epic as their parent

Yes, a few times I've scripted a field that echoes the actual epic on parent, epic and sub-task.  It works.  I am not sure you can do it on Cloud though.

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist],

could you post the scripted field that shows the epic link from the subtask here?

Regards and thank you

Ricardo da Silva

Got it.

i used a scirpted field with an custom template:

#set ($issueLinkManager = $jirautils.loadComponent('com.atlassian.jira.issue.link.DefaultIssueLinkManager', $issue.getClass()))
#set ($parent = $issue.getParentId())
#foreach ($link in $issueLinkManager.getInwardLinks($parent))
#set($links = $link.getSourceObject().getSummary())
<a class="aui-label ghx-label-7" title="Follow link" href="/browse/$value"> $links </a>
#end
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.link.IssueLinkManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.link.IssueLink

def issueLinkManager = ComponentAccessor.getIssueLinkManager()
def parent = issue.getParentId()

for (IssueLink link in issueLinkManager.getInwardLinks(parent)) {

return link.getSourceObject()

}

Hey Ricardo,

I set up a custom field using this script and it worked like a charm. Thanks! 

I have a follow-up question for you: I have an epic, a task linked to the epic, and a sub-task that inherited the epic key using your custom field. How do I filter for the sub-task in the issue navigator? I don't think this scripted field is JQL friendly. 

Thanks,

Schuyler Bishop

Hi Schuyler,

yes thats right but you can set your filter like
"Epic-link Sub-task" ~ "your Epic Name"
Than it should works

Regards

Ricardo

Success. Thanks, Ricardo! 

This widget could not be displayed.

Thank you, Nic!

It's good to know it's possible to do it at all. Now maybe someone will be able to confirm if it's possible on the cloud.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

269 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you